Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Okaloosa Island Shark Report(8/15)

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Justin618 
#1 ·
Went out to Okaloosa Island Thursday night into Friday morning. I've just recently gotten back into fishing and cant stop now, especially sharks. In total we caught 8 sharks, 2 bull reds, and a very large stingray. Largest shark was 5'4''. I'm still waiting on a big Bull Shark. Earlier in the week my Dads friend caught a 6'4'' Bull Shark right from the beach. As of now we aren't yakking the baits out, but I am possibly in the market for one.

All the Sharks we're either Spinners or Sandbars. The two Bull Reds I caught were 32'' and 39''. The stingray was probably 60-70# from what my Dads friend guessed. I'm using a 9' pole with a Penn Fierce 8000 with 50# braid, 6 ft leader,16/0 hook and our weight setup. Typical bait is Ladyfish heads or Mingo heads.

Lately in the last two weeks I've probably caught 10 sharks, 2 bull reds, two good size blues, and some ladyfish. This is Okaloosa Island and Navarre Beaches.

I have pictures but they are on my phone. Ill have to email them to myself and then post them, sorry.

I thought about cutting up the Stingray for Hammer bait, but I had already been fishing for over 12hrs(very tired and about to pack up) and I didn't have a big enough cooler.

Were casting from shore and were still getting all these large fish. Any other options for bait to get a big Bull, Tiger(hopefully)? We sometimes use the balloon setup, but that can only be done during certain weather.

Great forum btw.

Justin

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I really regret not cutting up the Ray now. It would have been a TON of meat. I first went about 2 weeks ago from Navarre Beach and caught my first shark. A small spinner or sandbar maybe(2ft). Not sure. After that I caught about 3 more non stop. Another night I caught two good size blues and threw out the bloody head and within a minute I had a bite. About a 3.5Ft Shark. Probably a Spinner. These 4-5fts are fun, but I want a Tiger, big Bull, or a hammer.

The Ray was a lot of fun and I thought it was a larger shark. Pulled probably 200-250yards or so and about 20 minute fight Id guess. He was a big one.

The bull Reds are a lot of fun too.

#5 ·
They weren't Blacktips. I snagged a blacktip just off the beach in Navarre on a Gotcha lure on the back tail. These didn't look anything like it.

Grass wasn't too bad at first. Later in the evening it got worse, but was worth it. Not huge amounts of grass, just minor cleaning of the lines. The ray ate a mingo head.

#9 ·
Ok well the really small ones I caught look to be sharpnose. The larger ones were spinners. The other ones he said were sandbars and he has been shark fishing a while and seems to know his species. Ill post the pics. Ill have to email to myself and post them though. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. But, regardless they are fun. The 5'4'' Spinner I caught was a lot of fun. I just really want a big Bull, Tiger, or Hammer. Not sure if they will come in really close though.

#12 ·
best baits are ray, small sharks, bluefish, spanish, jack crevalle and king.

i've used bonito several times for nothing but there was a big hammer caught on one this weekend. go figure. big AJ carcass and tuna loin work well too when you can get them.

for the smaller sharks and cast baits i use mullet, lady fish and chunks of spanish.

#14 ·
best baits are ray, small sharks, bluefish, spanish, jack crevalle and king.

i've used bonito several times for nothing but there was a big hammer caught on one this weekend. go figure. big AJ carcass and tuna loin work well too when you can get them.

for the smaller sharks and cast baits i use mullet, lady fish and chunks of spanish.
What are you using to try for the Rays? Just a smaller piece of bait and hope the cats don't get it? I'm kicking myself now for not cutting up the Ray. Hopefully I can catch another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.