Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

what loads to use

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Baitcaster 
#1 ·
what would be the best loads for my 12 gauge for home protection

#5 ·
I use Federal 2-3/4" low recoil #4 buck. Smaller pellets fired at lower velocity. They aren't as lethal across the street due to lighter weight pellets and the reduced velocity and thirty four .24 caliber pellets make a lot more holes in the body and quite a bit less recoil to recover from.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/buckshot.aspx?id=908

A heavy load of 2-3/4" #4 bird shot is incredibly devistating inside a home.

#7 ·
Real

I have used #4 buckshot, 3 inch shell, on a predator clawing his way into my chicken coop once. I was 110 feet away, measured. That's about 33 yards, if my math is correct. It was only a 15 pound predator, but the shot broke a leg and went through a shoulder. Not every pellet hit, but any of them would have done the deed. I was shooting a 20 inch barrelled over/under, with a modified choke.

My point is, the load was sufficient. Sure, it was a smaller animal, but a shotgun pellet breaking two bones is a convincer for any size critter. If it was a turkey, I might have lost some meat, for sure.

Based on that experience, at indoor distances, for home protection, heavy buckshot isn't entirely necessary. The suggestions by hsiF deR and bigbulls sound like good advice to me. Bigger isn't always better, especially when "small game loads" aren't yet getting sucked into a feeding frenzy. $6.99 for 25 #6 Federals at Bass Pro, last time I checked, and they were gathering dust....:blink:

#8 ·
Right now I happen to have 3" #4 magnum hv steel for ducks. I just leave in it what I used last. I imagine that 7.5 high velocity dove loads would change someone's mind about breaking into your house. Then again it depends on how many sides of the story you want.

#13 · (Edited)
The last shooter was a lousy shot. He hit one person on the shoulder and missed the other. It wouldn't have mattered if he was using 00 buck or a slug. A bad shot is a bad shot. The kid that was shot in the shoulder was in critical condition. Sounds pretty effective to me.

Anyone that says that #4 or #6 shot isn't effective at typical home defense distances (20 feet or so) has never taken a load of it to the chest or head.

The next time you kill a deer or hog, take a standard High Velocity dove load (3-3/4 dram, 1-1/4 ounce, #4 or #6) and shoot it at the chest or skull of the deer from 20-25 feet away and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.