Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

What kind of fish?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Smitty81 
#1 ·
Saturday about 23 miles S of PP ran across a log holding lots of Triple tail & Dolphin, we got our share of them.

It was also holding lots of small fish 4-6" long. Shaped like an AJ with a distinct stripe running through the eye. My crew thought they were juvenile amber jack but they were much darker than an AJ. More of a dark brown almost black color. I've seen them before on grass and other flotsam.

No pics. Any ideas?

#8 ·
We caught some baby almacos off a log a few weeks ago along with some large hard tails near the Elbow. We had circled back because I was positive I saw 3 triple tail on the log as well. The log was also holding some mahi.

I'm 100% certain on the baby almaco identification and it sounds like you may have run across something similar. Dark in color, large stripe from the eye, and our fish had a very pronounced, "almaco" dorsal fin.

I didn't get a good look at it, but we released another baby almaco this past week fishing for bait on another boat on one of the western Louisiana rigs. I only saw them from the stern and in the water, but I assumed that's what they were in the water. I didn't see the one we landed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.