Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

strange delivery

5K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  baldona523 
#1 ·
Earlier today a relative of mine found a fed ex package on their front porch, it was addressed to them so she opens it only to find a black case with a h&k ump inside. Despite me thinking it would go well in my cabinet I told her to report it to the police. Upon further inspection it had her address but not her name on it. Has anyone had this happen before, and how would you handle this?

#5 · (Edited)
Why doesn't she just call the company that shipped to her accidentally?

They'll pay for it to be returned to them and will get it to the rightful owner that sent it to them for the work to be done.

No need to get the police involved in what's most likely a shipping error.

#9 ·
Seems like FEDEX would not want to accept it back from you knowing it was a firearm because you are not an FFL. And by you doing so, I bet there might be legal ramifications for you.

I hate it for the rightful owner, but law enforcement needs to get in this.

#13 ·
Could be as simple as two inversed numbers on the street address.
We get the neighbors mail all the time due to that.
Run the name thru the property appraisers website or pull up her property on their map and look at who owns nearby for the name.

#14 ·
OP said H&K UMP. The UMP is the successor to the MP5 a sub machine gun. If it is fact a sub machine gun (select fire, full auto) there is a whole different set of rules you have to adhere to.

I am not an expert but from what I know, If she did anything other than call LEO and turn it over to them she would have committed a felony. Technically turning it into LEO may have been a felony as well but it is better and easier to explain to a judge than just giving it to someone else that she has no way of knowing if they are authorized to possess it. Transfer of a Class III device is strictly controlled. Not that I agree with the law just stating the way it is.

The shipper and the intended receiver if everything is in fact on the up and up should both be more than grateful that she turned it in to LEO.

Going with the assumption that it is Class III there are two scenarios.

Scenario 1: Completely legitimate shipment that just had an incorrect address. Both the Recipient and the shipper ARE LOOKING FOR THE BOX AND WILL EVENTUALLY FIND IT. If she did not turn it in she will get a visit by local LEO and it will not go well for her.

Scenario 2: Something shady going on. Both the Recipient and the shipper ARE LOOKING FOR THE BOX AND WILL EVENTUALLY FIND IT. Shipper or intended recipient will show up at her door and it will probably not go well for her.

#16 ·
Hound_dog said:
Update, srcso just called her back to inform her that it was stolen. Weird stuff huh?
Somebody mailed a hot gun to the wrong buyer, this rabbit hole is gonna go pretty deep by the time cops are done. How savvy was the sender? Did they use a drop or walk-in with cams, is ATF brought in on this crap? Cops will put energy on this, ain't no first time sender shipping that kind of piece, keep us informed if ya hear anything please.

#17 ·
ATF is absolutely gonna be involved, in fact they will take it over. If I was in this situation... Honestly, I would be looking for another receiver to go with my newly acquired complete parts kit.... The register as a NFA gun.... Then melt the hot receiver.... But that all went out the window when you put it on a open forum... But I can check if its stolen, so I would know before I stripped it if somebody was gonna be looking for it....

#30 ·
Aren't you LEO? Is this seriously what you meant to post? Let me make sure i have it right... Blah blah blah...comit felony...blah blah blah. Is that about right? :whistling:

#19 ·
MULLET HUNTER said:
ATF is absolutely gonna be involved, in fact they will take it over. If I was in this situation... Honestly, I would be looking for another receiver to go with my newly acquired complete parts kit.... The register as a NFA gun.... Then melt the hot receiver.... But that all went out the window when you put it on a open forum... But I can check if its stolen, so I would know before I stripped it if somebody was gonna be looking for it....
Mullet, you crack me up with a lot of your posts, but brother, those thoughts you keep to yourself!! Big brother is everywhere man, don't get yourself on the radar if ya can help it. Just looking out man, your world-your life.

#21 ·
My conscience wouldn't let me do that but man I'd love to have one... They are so fun to shoot, espically when you don't buy the ammo:thumbsup:

#22 ·
Was she supposed to be out of town? I have heard about criminals doing things like that. Having an item shipped to an address when they know the resident is going to be out of town. Box gets dropped at the door and they watch the tracking information and go by and pick it up.

#26 ·
If she had a stolen gun mailed to her house...have you considered making sure she has a gun of her own to protect herself with?

She is now involved in a less than savory situation, and should be ready for the bad guys if they come looking for their gun.

Maybe this is just part of Fast and Furious II...the one where Paul Walker teams up with Eric Holder...

#31 ·
Who sends something like that anyway but signature confirmation? No company would send a package that could end up being a felony if the wrong person gets it without signature confirmation.

I agree with others, I would recommend your friend that got the gun live with someone else for a month or until something is figured out. Something fishy went on there.

Any business that works on Guns like that triple check they dot the i's and cross the T's. You don't just send a possible full auto gun to the wrong person, stuff like that rarely happens outside of movies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.