• 1 Post By stc1993
  • 1 Post By bcahn
  • 1 Post By badonskybuccaneers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Default Birthday Getaway

Well, Teresa decided we should take the boat with us to Crystal River, thank God. But- let me back up for a second for those who don't know the story...
Early the previous week, my wife, Teresa (aka Cookie) announced that she wanted to go to Crystal River for her birthday, which is March 24th. Nothing complicated, just hop in the jeep,and head down Friday afternoon. I'm thinking, "Crystal River! Birthday... This calls for a fishing trip!" But she didn't say anything about wanting to take our boat, so I'm calling my friends to see if I can secure a charter trip last minute. Not much luck with that- especially since there was a fishing tourney that weekend! Lol so, after some changes to the plan, she asks me about taking our boat. Apparently, she was concerned about driving late Friday with the boat in tow. So, we made arrangements to leave Friday morning instead!
Bright and early Friday morning, he are all hooked up and ready to go! By about 4 PM eastern time we arrive in Crystal River at the Best Western, Crystal River Resort on US 19. And Cookie is ready to get on the water today! We barely get our bags in the room and she is ready to get on he boat! So, we hop on and head over to Pete's Pier for some live shrimp for her to toss. We run down the river and hit a couple spots but don't have much luck. However, she does manage to get a little redfish. He had a nice lit tail too!

*By now we are pretty much on a falling tide and a pretty good east wind. We do have a good time just being in Crystal River, out on the boat, to top it off- we catch a pretty awsome sunset at Shell Island.

We run back to the resort- to find a very crowded dock, so we put the boat at the Crackers dock, next door for the time being. We ran in the room and got cleaned up, then went back next door to Crackers Bar and Grill for a Birthday Dinner. Our waiter, Ron, having found out it's Cookies birthday, and being a bit of a cartoon artist, drew her a neat little frame on her take out box top.

After dinner, we were able to relocate the boat back at the resort marina dockage.
The next morning we get up early, in anticipation of an all day fishing excursion. We get a quick bite in the resort breakfast hall, then get in the boat and run over to Pete's Pier for bait. but- uh-oh! They are out of shrimp. and they didn't know when the bait boat would be back in. I was guessing the 20 knot winds late Friday made it difficult to catch that bait shrimp for them. ? But in any case, they had no bait. So we decided to take the fresh dead ones we had left over from last night and go ahead with our plans. We ran out to the power plant channel and fished around, but didn't see much action until about noon when the winds and tide changed up! Then we started catching a couple trout, as a matter of fact, she was using my trout rod with a 1/8 oz jighead and DOA CAL paddle tail when she caught a nice sized trout- that excited her about my soft plastics for a little while! Lol.

And she was doing pretty good with putting sheepshead on the boat using pieces of her shrimp leftovers! Lol.

We also caught a pompano, and a couple Spanish mackerel- yum! After 2-3 the bite slowed again and we were getting tired and decided to head in.
We got cleaned up and went to Crackers again "for another dinner that couldn't be beat" (Cookie was terribly fond of those shrimp and scallops).
It was not a bad trip- although I would like to have looked a bit harder for some live shrimp for Cookie- we might have gotten a couple more trout if we had a few. But she enjoyed her weekend regardless!
As always, I can't wait to go back again-

Oh- Tommy, sorry I didn't get back with you earlier. My apologies- hopefully you found the bite cooperative on your trip. We had fun regardless. Tight lines!

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- mike@badonskybuccaneers.com
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve

Last edited by badonskybuccaneers; 04-01-2017 at 08:33 PM.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Sailfish

A nice weekend trip. I'd like to go there for a weekend trip one day.
badonskybuccaneers likes this.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
Grouper

Great trip capt, happy D day to you guys!
badonskybuccaneers likes this.
70 Wellcraft 17' (sold)
80 Starcraft 16' (sold)
bcahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc1993 View Post
A nice weekend trip. I'd like to go there for a weekend trip one day.
Yes- you should. Plenty to do there. It's the only area in the US you can "interact" with the manatees (with restrictions), although that's more of a winter activity- mostly because they congregate there due to the warm spring water. If you can afford to charter a fishing trip- get one of the local guides, like Marrio at Tall Tales Charters. You'll spend more time "catching", and won't get into trouble. It'll help get you familiar with the area a bit!
ollemar likes this.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- mike@badonskybuccaneers.com
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.