Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Simpson River take 2

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Salt4Lifer 
#1 ·
Decided to try Simpson river for the second time ever today. Got 2 lower slot reds (not worth a picture) within the first hour and half, then nothing the rest of the day. Wind picked up pretty good by 1000 so moved to the bridge for some sheepies but they evaded me, or they weren't there to begin with.

#4 ·
A buddy and I went to the Simpson River yesterday afternoon as well. We might have seen you Salt4Lifer. Wind was a PITA. No way we would have gone out without Hobies. We pedaled up to the X, hung around the deep holes, but no takers. Trolled swim baits up and back with no luck. I would like to have gone south of the bridge, but the water was pretty rough.

#6 · (Edited)
Yep, that was you! Nice video... I went by you about 2 in a dune Revo. My buddy wanted to go up river and check out the deeper holes but it was a challenge. I fish that area a lot and seem to catch more fish south of the road, although we did hook a few trout on the Dead River about 1/2 way to the X several weeks ago. I don't seem to have much luck on the Simpson River which is the large river section that goes by the launch... I did catch a 34" red last week out in the bay. This time of year there will be schools of reds out in the open river but you have to be lucky or chase the pelicans. Let me know when you are going next and perhaps we can join you. Cold is OK, but wind is a serious drag...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.