Finally, a day on the water with out problems - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayaking Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Finally, a day on the water with out problems

Well, mechanical problems at least. Storm ran me off after just little over an hour at my spot. Also found out the hard way that the radar on my phone has about a fifteen minute delay and a storm can blow up real quick in fifteen minutes. I made the two mile sprint back in thirty minutes, and that includes catching a king. Had lighting nipping on my heels the whole time. I will NEVER do that again.

Anyhow for the report...

Arrived at my favorite launch at six AM on the dot. Seas were pretty big but long slow rollers, according to my bottom machine, I went over several four footers. Unloaded and made bait by seven, trolled what I call my mahi candy with a fresh dead cig to my spot two miles out, one short strike. Once to my spot I put a a twenty one inch mahi which ate the mahi candy in the cooler at ten till eight. My seventeenth of year. I had my gopro and got footage of the mahi jumping in my yak only to jump out immediately. Pretty cool.

I then slow trolled a live cig on fluro for a few minutes. Had a snapper, I assume, grab it at the top and proceed to wreck me breaking me off.

I retie but also I decided to drop down some livies in search of my first yak grouper. First drop yielded about at thirty inch cobia before it even gets to the bottom. By now Im hearing thunder.

Second drop a small king hits it half way down.

Third drop I assume another king ate it on the way down as I brought up just a head.

Flat line goes off, small shark.

Fourth drop I get slammed, drag locked down, thumbing spool and I get wrecked and broke off.

Thunder is getting louder and closer.

Fifth drop, same as fourth.

Sixth drop, I get absolutely hammered, I was only a few feet off bottom. I think it was a nurse shark, I could feel him move but I could barely move him and he really wasnt moving all that fast. After a few minutes of some serious tug o war and the thunder getting even louder and closer finally my seven ought hook straightens out.

Its time to go, set out my mahi candy and average over four miles per hour on the way in. I was getting pretty nervous. Caught another small king.

The worse part was that just before I decided to leave I saw a big grass line about a quarter mile south of me bobbing in the waves. If the storm hadnt of chased me off I think it would have been a great day with all of the live turbo cigs I had. Could have caught some more/bigger mahi and who knows what else. It was a big line.

It was nice finally not having any mechanical problems and for what ever reason the upgrades on my mirage not only made the pedaling smoother, I also went a lot faster hitting over six miles per hour on occasion.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
2011 hobie pro angler
Sailfish

nice job bro. you gotta watch them storms they have been popping up quick lately

Check out my Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/bbarton1984
bbarton13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarton13 View Post
nice job bro. you gotta watch them storms they have been popping up quick lately
I got really nervous when I started to think about what would happen if something broke again, there would have been no way I could have out paddled that storm.

Once on the beach I was so exhausted I felt like I was going to hurl.

Looks like its going to rough for the next several days, cant wait to get back at it once it calms down. I NEED a sail or at least a quality dolphin.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Mingo

Congrats on the catches. Sounds like an amazing short trip. great to hear the hobie is working better than before. I can't wait to take the PA I picked up from Kidney off shore. The weather can't be bad all of the time, right? Better to life to fish another day.
dvldocz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
2011 hobie pro angler
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
I got really nervous when I started to think about what would happen if something broke again, there would have been no way I could have out paddled that storm.

Once on the beach I was so exhausted I felt like I was going to hurl.

Looks like its going to rough for the next several days, cant wait to get back at it once it calms down. I NEED a sail or at least a quality dolphin.
i was 2 miles off perdido yesterday when someone in a condo called the coast called and said that i disappeared over the horizon. they sent a boat and a chopper lol. i think im gonna def drop some cash soon on a vhf radio. i could of prevented them from coming out cuz they probably called first. i need a sail or dolphin too!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Quote:
i was 2 miles off perdido yesterday when someone in a condo called the coast called and said that i disappeared over the horizon. they sent a boat and a chopper lol. i think im gonna def drop some cash soon on a vhf radio. i could of prevented them from coming out cuz they probably called first. i need a sail or dolphin too!
Thats insane, did they make contact with you? If so, what did they say?

I need a VHF as well. I always have cell reception but it wouldnt help if I happen to go overboard and cant make it back to my yak.

Other then the time I had that big fish start pulling me sideways and I was taking water over the side, today was the only other, "oh shit" moment Ive had out there.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
2011 hobie pro angler
Sailfish

they just asked if everything was ok and told me someone called so they had to come check on me, then he started talking about kayak fishing and that he wanted to try it. i said check out my youtube videos lol.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
bout time u get a radio... just do it.
pompanopete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
2011 hobie pro angler
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompanopete View Post
bout time u get a radio... just do it.
they aint cheap

Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Sailfish

Cheaper in the long run if something bad does happen. Plus you could get a waterproof/floating one instead of worrying about your cell phone getting wet if something bad happened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.