Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Firearms

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Brandon_SPC2
  • 1 Post By TFRIZZ30

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Finally able to play with the new .260

A few months ago I was looking into something to get into long range and ended up opting for Reminton's 700 "magpul" line. Eventually I will switch out the stock to a Manner's. Anyways my rifle ended up liking the 140gr ELDM over the 130gr Berger AR hybrids. I think I might do one more range trip experimenting with seating depth before I start the powder charge. Might experiment between .020-.040 in .005 incruments. But here are some of the groups from the trip now if I can eventaully do my part I might be able to get this rifle to shoot .400 center to center or less. The up close groups all measured about .500-.550 center to center.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally able to play with the new .260-capture-png   Finally able to play with the new .260-capture1-png   Finally able to play with the new .260-capture2-png   Finally able to play with the new .260-capture3-png   Finally able to play with the new .260-capture4-png  

Finally able to play with the new .260-capture5-jpg  
Bodupp, delta dooler and CaptnC like this.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC2; 04-17-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Brandon_SPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Grouper

Now those are some groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brandon_SPC2 likes this.
TFRIZZ30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Nice shooting!

I can see a resemblance to one of my Magpul stocked guns...the one that house's my 6.5-06...

Quick question about your powder choice...what's the difference between the H4831 and H4831 SC? I seen it a few times, but never followed up on what the meaning of it is. I think they make the H4350 the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally able to play with the new .260-20170220_195629-jpg  

Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Speaking of my 6.5-06...I shot it again last week. I wanted to see which powder it liked better. I was swapping back and forth between my latest build the M48 Mauser in 308...so I might ("might" I'm sure I did) have pulled a couple of my shots. Not in one of these pictures but I pulled one almost 3"!

Any way...been reading a lot of competition shooters are using H4350 because it is one of the least sensitive to temperature change.

So I shot IMR4350 against H4350. In the photo with the 140 BT it just worked out that the charge weights were the same for that bullet...I do know they have different burn rates, but they do over lap. My IMR load was way too lite!

With two different bullets it likes the H4350 better. Sierra 130gr HPBT Game Kings and the Nosler 140gr BT.

Also included a picture of the three bullets I've been shooting;

Left; 123 Hornady ELD
Center; 130 HPBT Sierra
Right; 140 Nosler BT I was in shock when I seen the length of the Nosler bullet...thats why I took that picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Finally able to play with the new .260-6-5-06_130hpbt-jpg   Finally able to play with the new .260-6-5-06_140bt-jpg   Finally able to play with the new .260-20170413_070937-jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Trigger

4831 vs 4831SC is the SC stands for "short cut". Here is what their website says "Physically, it has a shorter grain size which earned it the “SC” designation for “short cut.” The shorter, more compact kernels allow the powder to flow through the powder measures more smoothly, helping to alleviate the constant cutting of granules. With the smoother flow characteristics comes more uniform charge weights, while the individual grains orient more compactly, creating better loading density."

I decided on H4831 because generally it is a very accurate powder and you can compress the heck out of it. H4350 is a great powder but is now getting hard to find.

If I was you I would pick one powder and if you only have access to a 100-200 yard range my first test would be seating depth on bullets. Just shoot three shot groups starting from .010 off the lands to the maximum the factory or what other people have stated they have found. The Hornady's I went all the way out to .090 off the lands.

The powder charge I would use to do the test is 10% less than what the book max states. If there are different ones in all books start with the powder manufacture. Then the next test do a powder charge. So me I will do 45.8, 46.0, 46.2, 46.4, 46.6, in 5 shot groups and pick the best one. If I had a 300+ yard range I would do a ladder test but I don't
Old 04-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
~~~~~CREEPIN'~~~~~
Grand Slam

Nice grouping....should've went w/ a 223! hahaha

Psalm 24:1

1 The earth is the Lordís, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it;

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Nice grouping....should've went w/ a 223! hahaha
Don't you worry I have a nice AR build coming up Seen a few of these barrels these guys use and they are getting 6-8" groups at 1,000 yards running 77gr Sierra Match Kings or Hornady ELDs... Granted it's on a very calm day.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the info Brandon. I've been seating mine about .010 off right now. I have to say most of the powder company reloading data is very lite! I'm over most of the manufacturer max and at or over the bullet manufacturer data.

Just been referred to a site that is proving out what I'm saying. One guy is shooting 54 grains of IMR4350 behind a 140gr bullet. I was shooting only 49gr. and was close to max.

The 6.5-06 is a bit out of date...most of the info I'm finding is from the early 2000's
Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnC View Post
Thanks for the info Brandon. I've been seating mine about .010 off right now. I have to say most of the powder company reloading data is very lite! I'm over most of the manufacturer max and at or over the bullet manufacturer data.

Just been referred to a site that is proving out what I'm saying. One guy is shooting 54 grains of IMR4350 behind a 140gr bullet. I was shooting only 49gr. and was close to max.

The 6.5-06 is a bit out of date...most of the info I'm finding is from the early 2000's
Here is a site that will also help with loading the 6.5-06. Try H4831 and see how you like it. I'm pretty sure Mikes has it in stock. They don't have the SC "Short Cut" but a little trick I use to get bigger granules to settle is go get a vibrating tooth brush. When you add powder to the case touch the case a few seconds with the tooth brush and it will help the powder settle.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...=Powder&Source=

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.