Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Anyone use H&R handi rifles?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  joel6180 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a couple in .444 that we use during "primitive weapon" season here in Mississippi, great little guns for the $, but are lacking in a couple areas, my biggest complaint are the triggers in them.

My trigger pull on both rifles were over 7#! One was 7.7 the other was 7.1, obviously this will make longer range shots and tight groups about impossible.

You have the option of sending them back to the factory and have them adjusted to 3#, I beleive they do it for free if you are getting a new barrel fitted, but if not, they charge you for it. Me not being too fond of sending a rifle off, I decided to talk to a local gunsmith about trigger jobs, I was quoted $80 per rifle.... The rifles aren't but maybe $250-$275 new, so I didn't want to put the money into them.

After a lot of reading, I decided to try the "graphite trigger job", Google it if you want to read more about it.
Basically what I did was completely oil free/clean fun, then I put graphite all in the trigger assembly/action area, I then cycled the hammer and trigger repetedly for approx 30 min. I did this by cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger as I am pulling it back , offering as much resistance as I could in the process. After I did this for about 3o min , I stopped and put the trigger scale on it, IT WAS AT 3.3 POUNDS! And it virtually eliminated what trigger creep I did have!

I did the 2nd rifle the same way, and wound up with a 3.6 pound trigger pull on it.
After cycling each rifle with the graphite, I tore them down and cleaned them thoroughly to get graphite out.

Just thought I'd pass this along, pretty easy job that should make these rifles accuracy improve.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep! I have an H&R 308 that's one of my favorites. Trigger pull is heavy, I'm gonna try this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.