• 1 Post By badonskybuccaneers
  • 3 Post By sealark
  • 1 Post By captken
  • 1 Post By captken

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Default Do your research when traveling!

I wanted to share this pic I got from a friend of mine today.

This is why it's important, when traveling, to become familiar with the destination you are traveling to- especially when boating! Not only with the tides (obviously), but also with terrain, and potential dangers. It's always the best idea to get with a reputable guide to get some pointers, if not charter them to take you out to show you some "ropes". At the least, make sure you have a good set of electronics, and premium navigational software loaded in them, as well as some time spent becoming familiar with things like tides and how not to end up like this poor guy!
We mention these on a couple of our out of town fishing reports, like to Crystal River and The Keys.
Plan- Prepare- Be Safe
Snagged Line likes this.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- mike@badonskybuccaneers.com
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #2
Grand Slam

4 tides a day just sleep a couple more hours and go fishing. A stern anchor would also help.
grouper22, Worn Out and SHunter like this.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
White Marlin

Default Is that at Shell Island at the mouth of Crystal River?

I see boats on the beach(what passes for a beach here) several times per week. Boats really get beat up rocking on the shells and rocks.

Yeah, remember 4 tides here. Around Full and New Moons tides run around 4 feet or so between high and low. February is about the worst with tides going from -.8 all the way up to +3.8 and doing it in 6 hours means some hellaceous flow. It can get a bunch worse with a strong east or west wind. Some ramps around here are unusable on low tides.

If you are a yaker, you can get in a world of hurt if you are up a creek here and get caught by before you can get out. Prepare to get eaten alive by Sand Gnats. They are here by the billions. Most places can't be waded because of deep mud or really bad rocks and holes.

Flesh eating bacteria are another real problem here in the summer. Heavy shoes are a must.

A serious problem we have here is nudity right in your face. Not a problem to many you might think but the women aren't all cover girl material and I'm not into guys.
Worn Out likes this.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
I see boats on the beach(what passes for a beach here) several times per week. Boats really get beat up rocking on the shells and rocks.

Yeah, remember 4 tides here. Around Full and New Moons tides run around 4 feet or so between high and low. February is about the worst with tides going from -.8 all the way up to +3.8 and doing it in 6 hours means some hellaceous flow. It can get a bunch worse with a strong east or west wind. Some ramps around here are unusable on low tides.

If you are a yaker, you can get in a world of hurt if you are up a creek here and get caught by before you can get out. Prepare to get eaten alive by Sand Gnats. They are here by the billions. Most places can't be waded because of deep mud or really bad rocks and holes.

Flesh eating bacteria are another real problem here in the summer. Heavy shoes are a must.

A serious problem we have here is nudity right in your face. Not a problem to many you might think but the women aren't all cover girl material and I'm not into guys.
Yes it is- there must have been a hundred pics taken of that boat yesterday! And I bet most of them are on the internet somewhere by now- hey, they're celebrities! LOL
On one hand, not any one other place you could be more embarrassed at for something like that. The bright side.... at least they weren't "out back" somewhere where no one could find them or help!

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- mike@badonskybuccaneers.com
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
White Marlin

Default Serious Tarpon Fishing less than 200 yards from where that photo was taken.

I don't know how many Tarpon I have caught barely inside Shell Island--maybe 2-3 long casts with a Zebeeco 202.

Half of a big mullet on the bottom does the job nicely. Use a 10-12" lively mullet or Ladyfish on the bottom in the same place and catch 20-40# Snook.

I've caught big fish right there for over 40 years. My only fishing mentor in Crystal River (RIP Johnnie Elmer) put me on it back in 1975 or so.

Tide, time of day and season rules your catch here. You gotta figure that out yourself.

Last edited by captken; 01-19-2017 at 08:04 PM.
captken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
White Marlin

Default Ya know, maybe---

This photo should be posted around Shell Island along with suggestions how to prevent it happening.

The current runs by there so fast that you can't slow down enough to explain what to do. In a single screw IB boat with deep draft and loud diesel I was not much help. Danged if I was going to endanger my livelihood by getting too close.
badonskybuccaneers likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.