One tank of ethenol and now... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Ethanol and Outboards...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Little fish, big pond
Ruby Red Lip

Default One tank of ethenol and now...

..my little outboard won't start. I literaly ran one tank of ethenol through it, and switched back. It ran rough a couple of time, and Sunday it would not start at all. Now what do I do? Will "Sea Foam" correct the problem, or does it have to go under the knife?
RipinLips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Grouper

Do you have major medical? That one tank of Ethanol probably desolved all the gunk that was just hanging around. Nothing wrong with ethanol, just a real good cleaning agent and will desolve any gunk or crap in the fuel system and move it on through.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Grouper

Default Fuel

Change your fuel filter a couple of times and you will be fine as long as you don't clog an injector old fuel is as bad if not worse than e-10
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

I do believe Sea Foam also has alcohol in it. So be carefull with it.Ethanol is not kind to marine engines, outboards especially.

II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

http://alljiggedup.com/

Randy's Canvas & Marine Vinyls
850-279-4140
850-855-5314 cell
Custom Awnings - Repairs
Boat Cushions - Curtains and more
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
OCD Reel Service/Repair
White Marlin

More info on the engine/tank configuration. What year engine?

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Motorcycle, ATV Service
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinLips View Post
..my little outboard won't start. I literaly ran one tank of ethenol through it, and switched back. It ran rough a couple of time, and Sunday it would not start at all. Now what do I do? Will "Sea Foam" correct the problem, or does it have to go under the knife?

I seriously doubt one tank of ethanol caused your problem. It might have made the problem happen sooner, but isnt the direct cause. It takes alot more then one tank to mess up anything in the fuel system. First thing I would do is check spark, and maybe change the plug. If its easy enough to get to the carb bowl drain screw, then drain it into a clear container and see if you have any water in it. I have had several bikes in the shop lately that have gotten bad gas from the gas stations..... Check spark, check for water in the fuel, then go from there...

Doug "Breeze" Middleton
www.cyclesbybreeze.net
850-438-0401

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycles...88519777907410

10% discount to Forum Members
25% discount to Active Duty

"America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall.
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!"
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Trigger

what he said
mt0264 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Snapper

I agree x2 I bet the real problem is not from the one tank of e-10 gas. Check spark and check for fuel and see which route to diagnose. We need more info like is the motor even turning. or turning and not firing. just my 2 cents
Bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Snapper

Seafoam is "100% pure petroleum product". I ran some mixed with some old mix through my '90 48 Special and it helped but, to make sure, I used a trick a Cajun outboard repair guy told me when he was too backed up to clean my carbs and I wanted to go fish (I have no clue how you'd use it with injectors though). He recommended spraying Sierra Carbon Free in my carb. I hit the high speed jets, some in the throat in hopes it would leak somewhere useful, pulled the float (?) chamber drain plugs and sprayed some in and tried to stop the holes before it all leaked out, and even sprayed the little screens on the side (don't know if the lead anywhere internally but, figured it was worth a shot. Let it sit overnight and it worked like a charm, started up and ran smoothly (well, as smooth as an old 2 cyl can I guess). Before he filled me in on this "secret", I'd usually end up getting the carbs cleaned out to the tune of $100 or so every couple of years. I also put some Seafoam in my lawnmower that started acting up and it seemed to like it. I actually bought the stuff for the crankcase in my Mercruiser, got some water in the oil and want to flush it out. I only bought the stuff after reading glowing reports from users (not on the Seafoam site though).
Hope this helps

Last edited by GWally; 09-14-2012 at 12:42 PM.
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
Trigger

Default This is a very good point!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptKen View Post
Do you have major medical? That one tank of Ethanol probably desolved all the gunk that was just hanging around. Nothing wrong with ethanol, just a real good cleaning agent and will desolve any gunk or crap in the fuel system and move it on through.
I think you are right also that fact that pure gas flows allot easier than e-10. Pure gas carried the tiny broken down particles into your jets essentially the same as clogged arteries plaque build up etc. I would not use Sea Foam it contains around 10%-20% Isopropal Alchohol. The remaining ingredients of Naptha and Pale oil will raise your flash point and change your octaine. If you use too much it will interfear with detonation and quite possibly leave more of a carbon residue causing greater compression however two strokes arent high compression engines thus making your engine seem to run better but putting a greater load on your crank bearings which is not good for longevity. Ever heard my engine was running best it ever has just before it blew up- I dont understand?
Sea Foam will absorb water and allow the fuel to burn which is why some people think its great stuff. You could accomplish the same thing with Heet that walmart sells for about 1.68 but remember alchohal/ ethanol is bad.

Solution:
Drain the fuel, purge your line switch back to pure Gas- it will last a year with no wasteful additives. Trust me you will use it and fill up with fresh Gas before then. If you dont ,sell the boat and fish off the dock you will save yourself money and frustration. The south east is very humid -close your tank vent when done operating to prevent water/moisture from getting in. A sock over the fuel cap also works great for portable tanks. The other thing you may want to check is the inlet pick up screen in your tank they can clog or collapse with e-10 use making your engine starve for fuel.

* Also if you happened to mix pure gas with e-10 it can Gel causing this symptom.

*Also if you plan on using E-10, a synthetic two stroke oil is much more compatible as opposed to the Petolium based Dino oil.

Last edited by jigmaster; 09-27-2012 at 12:59 AM.
jigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.