Non-Ethanol gas question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Ethanol and Outboards...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
Sailfish

Default Non-Ethanol gas question

Up until Jan 6 gas stations could sell various grades of non-ethanol gas. Now it seems only premium (93 oct. I believe) non-ethanol is available.
The question is will this higher octane harm low power outboards that are rated for 87 octane.
I know the big engines want high grade, but lower power engines are happy with lower grade.

Anyone have any facts on this or just an opinion?

Last edited by fishwalton; 02-06-2011 at 10:37 PM.
fishwalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
26' Twin Vee Weekender
White Marlin

Higher octane will not harm an engine, just costs more and may not be necessary. Sea-r-cy
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
White Marlin

"Effective January 1, 2011, Florida law requires all gasoline sold or offered for sale in Florida by a terminal supplier, importer, blender, or wholesaler to contain a mixture of 90 to 91 percent gasoline and 9 to 10 percent fuel ethanol, by volume, unless otherwise exempted by statute."

The ethanol fuel mandate does not apply to fuel used in aircrafts or watercrafts, fuel sold to a blender, or fuel sold for use in collector vehicles, off-road vehicles, motorcycles, or small engines. If a terminal supplier, importer, blender, or wholesaler is unable to obtain ethanol fuel at the same or lower price as unblended gasoline, then the covered entity may apply for a waiver. (Reference Florida Statutes 526.201-526.207)
Look at 526.203
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...0526/0526.html

It will now be more difficult then it was last year to find a land based gas station selling non-ethanol gasoline of any grade.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Snapper

Stupid econut politicians...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Stupid econut politicians...
I'd say more like politicians in the pocket of the corn/farm/ethanol lobbyists.
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-r-cy View Post
Higher octane will not harm an engine, just costs more and may not be necessary. Sea-r-cy
This is not 100% accurate. Higher octane fuels burn at a cooler temperature, just like ethanol based fuels. I have a 250 HPDI Yamaha and it is designed for 87 octane and the higher internal combustion temperature. If you run high octane in it you burn out the oxygen sensors. (From experience) With ethanol cooler operating temps I had to set up my spark plug to a hotter burning one. Still if I ideal for a long way it will foul a plug. (Plugs are $10.00 a piece). This problem is not limited to Yamaha outboards it is indusrty wide. With these new motors and the operating specs they have to adhere to with California and other states, there is no tolerence for this difference in operating temps.
Matt 4:19
BANKWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Grouper

Remind me where we were buying un-diluted gas.... I recall it was off the interstate somewhere.
Sailing_Faith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Trigger

Default octane

I have always been under the assumption that higher the octane the less volatile the fuel. High compression engines, i.e. 10.5:1,11:1, and such compress the fuel in a much tighter space at a much greater compression factor. That being said, the more tightly you compress fuel the more likely it is to explode from the heat generated by compression before ignition occurs. Thus the term pre-ignition. A higher octane allows the fuel to be more highly compressed without setting itself on fire, thsu allowing the spark to ignite the fuel and allows it to "burn" rather than explode. The higher the octane (retardant) the less volatile the fuel. That's why if you put 87 octane in a car with high performance engine you get a ping and clatter....................... Bob
Bobc5269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKWALKER View Post
This is not 100% accurate. Higher octane fuels burn at a cooler temperature, just like ethanol based fuels. I have a 250 HPDI Yamaha and it is designed for 87 octane and the higher internal combustion temperature. If you run high octane in it you burn out the oxygen sensors. (From experience) With ethanol cooler operating temps I had to set up my spark plug to a hotter burning one. Still if I ideal for a long way it will foul a plug. (Plugs are $10.00 a piece). This problem is not limited to Yamaha outboards it is indusrty wide. With these new motors and the operating specs they have to adhere to with California and other states, there is no tolerence for this difference in operating temps.
Good point, bankwalker. Always run the appropriate fuel for your setup. The only problem is it may sound a bit funny. Like:

"Hey, what happened to your motor?"

"I ran it cool."
ds_expert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobc5269 View Post
I have always been under the assumption that higher the octane the less volatile the fuel. High compression engines, i.e. 10.5:1,11:1, and such compress the fuel in a much tighter space at a much greater compression factor. That being said, the more tightly you compress fuel the more likely it is to explode from the heat generated by compression before ignition occurs. Thus the term pre-ignition. A higher octane allows the fuel to be more highly compressed without setting itself on fire, thsu allowing the spark to ignite the fuel and allows it to "burn" rather than explode. The higher the octane (retardant) the less volatile the fuel. That's why if you put 87 octane in a car with high performance engine you get a ping and clatter....................... Bob
Your assumption is correct.
hunterbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.