100% GAS No Ethanol - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Ethanol and Outboards...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Location: West Side of Pensacola. Fl. near Pine Forest High School
Default 100% GAS No Ethanol

Got gas at the Lucky Penny Station at "W" st. and Jackson in Pensacola.. Premium is 100% gas with no ethanol. Not only is it marked on the pump,, the last time the driver delivered gas, I asked him about it and he said the premium is 100% gas, but the mid-grade and regular does have 20% ethanol. ($2.94) per gallon.
Beatswork'n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
White Marlin

That will change to all grades having ethanol by the end of this year for that land based station.

Did he really say 20% ethanol in the other grades?
yikes
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Better not use high test gas in an outboard it burns too hot. You will wind up with burnt pistons. Remember an outboard operates at about 90% of rated horsepower most of the time. Just look at the MPG and compare with a Car. Regular octane gas is best.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Kazadius Quantarious
Grouper

My 70 caddillac does NOT like ethanol

Hell it wont even run on 87, lucky penny ghetto store premium is all i use for it haha
saku39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

I have to ask but did you test it to make sure no ethanol? We hear this all the time well he said thats how it came but the dealer says no... Just use 89 octane, ethanol knocks about 2 points off so it would be like burning 87 in it after it sits for awhile.
wld1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
RMS
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Better not use high test gas in an outboard it burns too hot. You will wind up with burnt pistons. Remember an outboard operates at about 90% of rated horsepower most of the time. Just look at the MPG and compare with a Car. Regular octane gas is best.
Sealark, with all due respect, I don't think that statement is correct. I think
higher octane fuel is slower to ignite and burns over a slightly longer duration, reducing peak temperature to protect high performance setups.
From what I have read, higher octane fuel is likely to contain less ethanol as well.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Sealark, with all due respect, I don't think that statement is correct. I think
higher octane fuel is slower to ignite and burns over a slightly longer duration, reducing peak temperature to protect high performance setups.
From what I have read, higher octane fuel is likely to contain less ethanol as well.
I am basing my statement on Three people I know that have burned there pistons from using high test gasoline in outboards. This was years ago before alcohol was added to the gas. I'll stick to regular high test burns hotter no matter how it ignites. Why do the high speed dragsters only make a run or two before blowing an engine. Heat.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Mingo

I think ethanol is here to stay and we have do deal with it. As far as what grade to use I would go with what the manufacture of your motor recommends, for my Yamaha F-250 89 octane is listed.
FY05CPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

here is everything you could ever want to know about gasoline..... Gasoline FAQ - Part 1 of 4 .....David
fwbdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Absolutely incorrect. The higher octane a fuel is, the slower, more controlled, and cooler it burns. 87 ("regular") octane gasoline is the most unstable, fastest burning gasoline available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wld1985 View Post
I have to ask but did you test it to make sure no ethanol? We hear this all the time well he said thats how it came but the dealer says no... Just use 89 octane, ethanol knocks about 2 points off so it would be like burning 87 in it after it sits for awhile.
Not exactly. Ethanol is actually an octane booster. Octane rating of ethanol is about 114. You are correct in that if ethanol gasoline is allowed to sit for an extended period of time, the ethanol will separate from the gasoline and deteriorate the octane rating because of the separation.

Quote:
I am basing my statement on Three people I know that have burned there pistons from using high test gasoline in outboards. This was years ago before alcohol was added to the gas. I'll stick to regular high test burns hotter no matter how it ignites. Why do the high speed dragsters only make a run or two before blowing an engine. Heat.
Those three people who burned their pistons might have been running high octane gas, but I'd be willing to bet that they were either running high compression motors (too high for the octane they were running), or had a lean condition in that cylinder unrelated to octane. Race outboards run high octane race gas for the cooler, slower, more controlled burn rate, which saves pistons and cylinder walls.
hunterbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.