????HELP 14/0 Penn Senator VALUE?????? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Fishing Gear and Tackle > Rod Building and Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Mingo

Default ????HELP 14/0 Penn Senator VALUE??????

Ok so my nabor ahs this Penn senator 14/0 on a 130lb class reel that is all about 15ish years old used once and cleaned and stored. He will sell for @$400 but having trouble finding a value. Seems now all electric at this size? Is it even worth having if not a collector? I only tuna fish once a year and never go more that 25 miles out regularly. But if its a great value ill buy it but if thats all its worth then ill pass.Looks like it will clean up to be in perfect almost new condition.I did try to look online but found nothing of solid use.

Any help would be appresiated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
????HELP 14/0 Penn Senator VALUE??????-penn-14-full-jpg   ????HELP 14/0 Penn Senator VALUE??????-penn-14-reel-jpg  
ATWORK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Sailfish

$400 sounds like a good price if he's got the box and the condition checks out. Penn is producing this reel in the USA again and says they'll sell it new for $499. I've not seen one for that price yet. I have seen one for $675 on ebay.

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Follow my Fishing Reel exploits through Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/pompanojoes.reelworks
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Grouper

Def worth it. The new ones are junk. These are the work horses of big game fishing. Get it:-)

TheRoguePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Sailfish

Rip off !!!!! I only paid $108 for a 16/0. Wait, that was 1969.

Actually that's a great deal, either for using or storing back for collector value. Rod alone is probably close to that price. 800 yds of 130lb dacron isn't reel cheap either. Box would definately increase the collector value big time.

I'm sure you could at minimum get your money back.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Mingo

Default Ill let ya know

Ok so I have decided i only have use for the rod so when i can post things for sale ill have this reel and line for $400 do yall think that is a reasonable price for this without the rod? Reel looks like it will clean up to new looking but no box. But has @$200 worth of 130lb line from what i can tell but it is atleast 3 years old..

P.S never been a fish even hooked on it. Used for trolling once and dropped twice with no success.Then cleaned and indoor stored.
ATWORK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Say 3 in the pawn shops last time home, All were below $200. Don't know about the insides, I never picked them up because I knew I wasn't gonna buy them.
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Still haven't caught a
Sailfish

If I were going to spend around ~400 dollars on a reel for occasional tuna and bottom fishing or trolling in the 25 mile range, find a used one or save just a little more and buy a Shimano Talica 2 speed reel.

Super light, 40 lbs of max drag, big power in a small package and you can do any type of fishing with it. They are designed to chunk to tuna with, but you can cast them pretty well and pretty much do anything you want with them.

I have one and its the only rod and reel I will use all day when I go to the rigs and back, unless I throw a popper. Catch bait with it, snapper with it, AJs on jigs with it, even deep drop grouper on big jigs with it. And of course tuna. If you max the drag out you better hang on or you will get pinned to the gunnels quick with a big fish.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Sailfish

The old big Penn Senators (never did like that name) are more of a collector reel nowadays. With all the new disc drag reels out the old Penns just don't cut the mustard for high speed fish.

I know many a tuna has been caught on them but my old 16/0's drag would get so hot from just a shark that it would burn your arm. Can't imagine a big Starkist on the other end.

IMHO you should strip off the line and make sure there's no corrosion on the spool, they're famous for that. I'd take a pic of the empty spool and wind the line back on. Then I would put the thing on feebay if you're going to sell it. You'll probably get a lot more there than locally, but try it here anyway, can't hurt.

Sure brings back old memories seeing one of those old Penns.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
Trigger

last time i spent 400 on one rod and reel i got a 12/0 2 speed fin nor
billfishhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoguePirate View Post
Def worth it. The new ones are junk. These are the work horses of big game fishing. Get it:-)
I know this thread is a few days old now, but I just have to ask... Have you fished with one of the new 14/0's? If you have, what would cause you to say they're junk.
nb&twil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.