Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Free Labor on Custom Rods

900 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  60hertz 
#1 ·
After an exhaustive search for a new rod, I decided to build my own.

The first one turned out better than I ever expected and the building process was very rewarding.

I want to build more to get some experience.

So, if you ever wanted a custom rod instead of getting one off-the-shelf then I'll build one for you. I'll do this for the first 4 - 5 people or maybe more.

You go to getbitoutdoors.com or any other site or location - get yourself a blank, guides, reel seat, and whatever set of grips you want. Also, get a spool (or spools) of whatever thread you want me to use. I might ask you to pitch in for some reel seat adhesive or flex coat too - just depends on how my inventory is holding up.

I will build the rod for you for free! (Tipping in the way of Beer or Bourbon is acceptable too!)

The rod will not have a bunch of fancy wrappings and stuff and I'd prefer to build either bass, inshore, or fly rod.

Here's a photo of the one I built. It was built on an MHX 7' Medium Fast saltwater inshore rod - SJ842 6 -12# 1/8 - 1/2 oz blank.

See less See more
#3 ·
Dump the Flexcoat. Go to Threadmaster. Much better.

#4 ·
Dump the Flexcoat. Go to Threadmaster. Much better.
I've read of problems with Threadmaster. Apparently the original formula was redone after the company was sold.

Some people talked about a product called Diamond II being like the old Threadmaster.

I chose Flexcoat because that's what a good friend that builds a lot of rods over in MS said that he used exclusively. I was very happy with the Flexcoat. I thinned the first batch down with denatured alcohol so that it was thin enough to soak into the threads. After it spun overnight, I reapplied a full strength coat of Flexcoat.

This process worked well for me, but I'd be willing to try another product next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.