Public Display of License Plates - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Politics

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Freshwater Flounder
Grand Slam

Default Public Display of License Plates

Thought I'd get us away from the partisanship for a moment and expound a bit upon one of my libertarian pet peeves. Display of license plates.

From my perspective .... it's not the business of any police officer or license plate camera/reader who I am, what my address is, where my vehicle is going or has been. Not without having some other cause to stop my vehicle in the first place, anyway.

Yet ... we are all required to display a plate on our vehicles that can be run by any police officer or company operating license plate scanners on behalf of local, State, or Federal government ... and they can get your personally identifying information as you go down the road with zero suspicion whatsoever. Nor should any private citizen be able to send my license plate number in to the State and receive information back as to who that vehicle belongs to and where they live. (you can do that, ya know)

Imagine if, as a private citizen, you were required to wear a number on your back so any police officer (and some private companies) with zero 'cause/suspicion could run that number through a computer & find out who you are and where you live? I see little difference.

If a police officer needs to know if my vehicle is properly/currently registered and to whom ... that I have paid my taxes on it .... , s/he can check my registration paperwork when they stop me, just like they do my driver license. Provided they have other cause to stop me. Otherwise, it's really none of their business. (btw, I haven't been stopped or had a ticket in many, many years, so not grinding a personal axe here)

What I propose is a voluntary system. Vehicle owners can choose display a plate with a number unique to their registration as we do now ... and maybe even pay a little extra fee for that. Or they can choose a generic plate that just says "Florida" and has the little annual registration sticker in the corner.

Of course this would put the red-light-camera companies out of business ... but that's a plus in my book!
Quote:
Throughout the United States—outside private houses, apartment complexes, shopping centers, and businesses with large employee parking lots—a private corporation, Vigilant Solutions, is taking photos of cars and trucks with its vast network of unobtrusive cameras. It retains location data on each of those pictures, and sells it.

It’s happening right now in nearly every major American city.

The company has taken roughly 2.2 billion license-plate photos to date. Each month, it captures and permanently stores about 80 million additional geotagged images. They may well have photographed your license plate. As a result, your whereabouts at given moments in the past are permanently stored. Vigilant Solutions profits by selling access to this data (and tries to safeguard it against hackers). Your diminished privacy is their product. And the police are their customers.

The company counts 3,000 law-enforcement agencies among its clients. Thirty thousand police officers have access to its database. Do your local cops participate? http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...llance/427047/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...supreme-court/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...plate-program/

What say ya'll?

“Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way.”--- Patton

Last edited by AndyS; 03-14-2017 at 02:09 PM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Mingo

Well they do help police identify stolen vehicles, drivers with arrest warrants, amber alerts etc. it's also a good starting point to ensure that your registration is current (you don't have to run the plate for that, the handy little sticker let's the world know).

Insurance is a big concern I'm sure. To get a plate most states make your provide
Proof of insurance. If the only way to keep most people honest on insurance was by stopping a vehicle to check, or when you got into an accident, most people would "forget" to renew their policy. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20' BullsBay 115 Yamaha
MillerLight21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Freshwater Flounder
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerLight21 View Post
Well they do help police identify stolen vehicles, drivers with arrest warrants, amber alerts etc.
Shouldn't that be the choice of the vehicle owner?

Those worried about their car being stolen could still opt for the plate that allows their personally identifying information to be made public if they so choose.

Arrest warrants? Well, how do ya know who is driving the car?

Quote:
it's also a good starting point to ensure that your registration is current (you don't have to run the plate for that, the handy little sticker let's the world know).
Yep, there's always that little sticker they can look for, we'd still have that with my idea on it .... but they don't need to know my name and address if they have no other cause to stop me ... and certainly no need for the general public to be able to obtain that information either. (they can, ya know)

Quote:
Insurance is a big concern I'm sure. To get a plate most states make your provide

Proof of insurance. If the only way to keep most people honest on insurance was by stopping a vehicle to check, or when you got into an accident, most people would "forget" to renew their policy. Just my opinion.

I fail to see how this idea would affect the insurance requirement? You still have to have proof of insurance when you get stopped or in an accident and when you pay your annual State vehicle tax (aka: registration) This would in no way negate that requirement.

Or did you mean so curious Officers and the general public can find out your name, address, lien-holders, and insurance company just by the identifying placard the Sate requires you to display on your vehicle as you pass by or are parked somewhere?

Kinda don't like the idea of police just being able to randomly shotgun license plates simply to find insurance violators anyway. To me that's kinda like being required to display some number on your house that indicates you filed & paid your Federal taxes so IRS Agents could drive by and do random checks looking for violators. Okay ... maybe not the best example ... but you get the idea.

I'm not so certain all States record insurance status on one's registration anyway. I know for a fact some do as I used to run a lot of plates when I was working. I also know for those States that do provide insurance information on a license plate check .... it's not always correct because people sometimes change insurance in the middle of the vehicle's registration year and that's not required to be reported to the tax offices.

The larger concern here, of course, is private companies are taking advantage of the public information laws by scanning people's license plates, effectively tracking the movement of their vehicles, storing that data, and in some cases selling it. These scanners are going up all over the country .... usually in some sort of public/private partnership ... and they're storing & selling the data. They know every where your vehicle has ever been that it went by one of those license plate scanners ... .and those things are being put up all over the place. Further, that information will be out there and available to anyone in the public domain forever.

Last edited by AndyS; 03-14-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Grouper

So, andy...how many children would permantly disappear, because there would no longer be an "Amber" alert? Say the alert goes out for a white Accura...without a plate. How many white Accuras are there just in Florida? Or let's take it back to your BP days. A CI says a coyote is going to move a bunch of illegals, with two mules, in a Chevy Silvarado, black truck with black camper shell on it. Do you stop every black Chevy with a shell? Even my job doing security, we use tags to identify people who are supposed to be here
kingfish501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Grouper

Let's worry about things that really matter.

Orion45 and MillerLight21 like this.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
White Marlin

Heck, the government has so many ways to track our every move and every communication now that I think the cow's already out of the barn. As my wife and I were headed to Walmart Sunday to pick up an online order, she called to tell them we were on our way, and and estimate of what time we'd be there. Th lady at Walmart told us where we were, and said "no problem, we're tracking you and will know when you get here."

Big Brother is here.
Yellow River Cat likes this.
2012 Sea Fox 220XT
markbxr400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 AM   #7
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Display of license plates.
Right...do away with license plates.

All you need is a plate with the state and the small registration sticker so the next time someone does a hit-and-run number on you ass you can tel the LEO it was a white Ford p/u with a FLORIDA license plate...but you were unable to get the registration sticker number.

Must suck to be a Libertarian...so many issues.

You need to get busy fishing Andy.
delta dooler likes this.

Last edited by Orion45; 03-15-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Because there are just no importantant issues to worry about.

I hear Trump will be signing an order that will make us place one on the front, back, and top of all our vehicles...
Old 03-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #9
Freshwater Flounder
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish501 View Post
So, andy...how many children would permantly disappear, because there would no longer be an "Amber" alert?
Not in my truck they won't.

Sorry, not buying that bit about giving up our privacy in order to make the police job easier.

If there was a program you could voluntarily sign up for to wear a number on your back to make it easier for the police (or any member of the public) to query government databases and find out who you are and what your street address is .... and scanners increasingly being placed around the country by private companies that read that number and track your movements, store them in a database, and sell that data to government agencies as well as other private sector companies .... would you sign up for that?

Why not? It'd make the police job easier, right?

Last edited by AndyS; 03-15-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Freshwater Flounder
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw1972 View Post
Because there are just no importantant issues to worry about.
So, I take it then that you have no opinion on the topic?

Okay ... here's one along the same privacy lines. HR1313 introduced by Republican Virginia Foxx of North Carolina will companies to charge you less or charge you more for your health insurance depending on whether you participate in the company's wellness program. Now most of these wellness programs are contracted out to private companies who manage them. Employees fill out questionnaires regarding their health & lifestyle habits, in some cases participate in fitness programs that can be tracked via cellphone apps, and the provision of genetic testing information can be mandated by the wellness program either. Of course, it would be voluntary .... you could always choose to pay more for your health insurance if you choose not to participate in the companies wellness program. But here's the real kicker ... the companies contracted to run another companies wellness programs .... the information you provide to them is not covered by HIPPA. They can sell your health care questionnaire answers, your fitness/exercis app data, and the results of your genetic testing at to anyone they like.

But that's not important in our Brave New World, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw1972 View Post
I hear Trump will be signing an order that will make us place one on the front, back, and top of all our vehicles...
What in the world has any of this to do with Donald Trump? Did I not state right in the first post that this was to take a break from partisanship for a moment?

You are positively obsessed with Trump, JLW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.