$5 a gallon gas - Page 3 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Members Only > Politics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
Senior Member
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pensacola (Native)
Posts: 4,331
Default

"Well I was simply stating that it is one of the few options"

I understand completely, but if people only knew how much crude we are exporting out of this country every week, tapping the reserves would be a mute issue. Thus a 110% political move, or the powers that be are just plain ignorant to the facts. I say it's a feel good decision to appease the uninformed masses.

Interesting stats on the reserves. Thanks for posting........
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatjob1 View Post
"Well I was simply stating that it is one of the few options"

I understand completely, but if people only knew how much crude we are exporting out of this country every week, tapping the reserves would be a mute issue. Thus a 110% political move, or the powers that be are just plain ignorant to the facts. I say it's a feel good decision to appease the uninformed masses.

Interesting stats on the reserves. Thanks for posting........
We (US govt) are not exporting the oil, in fact, very little gasoline is exported. It is primarily distillate fuels. Regardless, the govt is not in control of this supply. Private corporations with familiar names like Koch Industries are.

They are exporting oil because they have become relatively more efficient at refining and can be competitive on the open market, not to mention that weak domestic demand is helping to fuel greater exports.

Some folks talk as if we should nationalize the industry. Especially those that point the finger at the president, what could he do?
__________________
I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."[9] Saginaw, Michigan; September 29, 2000
arthurpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #23
Senior Member
Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 596
Default

Dont think Obama will be getting any praise till him and his famiy are walking down the stairs of the white house with their bags in hand.....
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #24
Senior Member
Snapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 490
Default

Wirelessly posted

look up how many refineries have recently shut down or are in the process all due to Butthead Barrys policies... prices will be skyrocketing any day now.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
Senior Member
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pensacola (Native)
Posts: 4,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurpete View Post
We (US govt) are not exporting the oil, in fact, very little gasoline is exported. It is primarily distillate fuels. Regardless, the govt is not in control of this supply. Private corporations with familiar names like Koch Industries are.

They are exporting oil because they have become relatively more efficient at refining and can be competitive on the open market, not to mention that weak domestic demand is helping to fuel greater exports.

Some folks talk as if we should nationalize the industry. Especially those that point the finger at the president, what could he do?
U.S. Exports of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels)

2010
Jan Feb Mar Apr May June July Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
1,008 1621 1395 1095 1121 937 2,140 1,113 1,838 728 953 1,249

2011
2,228 847 1,126 1,227 1,148 1,066 2,263 1,047 1,065 1,568 1,928 1,646

2012
1,743 1,721 1,851

Last edited by Boatjob1; 06-07-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
WW2
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
WW2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Wirelessly posted

look up how many refineries have recently shut down or are in the process all due to Butthead Barrys policies... prices will be skyrocketing any day now.
Proof? I know that is what the refiners are saying. Where are the new regulations that Obama set?
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #27
Senior Member
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pensacola (Native)
Posts: 4,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Wirelessly posted

look up how many refineries have recently shut down or are in the process all due to Butthead Barrys policies... prices will be skyrocketing any day now.

Not sure if the Messiah can take the blame for this one (believe it or not).
Good article on the subject.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...oil-refineries

Just in case WW thinks this is BS and wants to argue about the article, here is the authors name and e-mail, write him about it. Matthew Philips , mphilips3@bloomberg.net

Last edited by Boatjob1; 06-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #28
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatjob1 View Post
U.S. Exports of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels)

2010
Jan Feb Mar Apr May June July Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec
1,008 1621 1395 1095 1121 937 2,140 1,113 1,838 728 953 1,249

2011
2,228 847 1,126 1,227 1,148 1,066 2,263 1,047 1,065 1,568 1,928 1,646

2012
1,743 1,721 1,851
Im not sure how else to say it. Oil is being exported out of the United States but the US govt is not exporting it. It is being sold be private corporations. The only crude the US govt can dictate where and what happens to it is the royalty crude that it receives as lease payments.

Congress can attempt to hinder exportation by raising export taxes on crude but that is about it.

here is a link that discusses the myth of expanding exports and rising domestic prices......... http://www.eia.gov/oog/info/twip/twi...twipprint.html

"growth in U.S. gasoline exports does not itself translate into higher prices for U.S. consumers. Rather, export markets are providing an outlet for refiners who would otherwise have faced margins that incentivized run cuts, or possibly even shutdowns, as decreased domestic demand had created excess refining capacity.”
__________________
I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."[9] Saginaw, Michigan; September 29, 2000

Last edited by arthurpete; 06-07-2012 at 10:56 AM.
arthurpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #29
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW2 View Post
Proof? I know that is what the refiners are saying. Where are the new regulations that Obama set?
Im guessing maybe the Energy Independence Act a few years ago that set national avg mpg at 35 mpg is driving down demand and therefore reducing refineries domestic margins, possibly causing some to shutdown or look elsewhere. And it looks like they are having no problem looking elsewhere due to the expansion into competitive markets and the resutling increase in exports.
__________________
I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."[9] Saginaw, Michigan; September 29, 2000
arthurpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2