What flies to bring... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Fly Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default What flies to bring...

Now that tax season is over I'm starting to get my stuff together for vacation at GSP next month. Question is, what flies work down there? These days I tend to do a lot of walking on the grass flats looking for tailers and use mostly crab patterns which I'm not sure will work for the reds down there. I fish gummy minnows, shrimp patterns and clousers around dock lights for trout and those look like they might be ok. I've never caught a pompano on the fly but I want to try. Lowcountry will tie me some sand fleas but I'm in the dark after that. I would also like to get a few spanish on the fly but wanted to know what flies and if I just live with a few cutoffs rather than spook them witha light wire leader. Bringing a 6 and 8wt if that makes a difference. Still looking at Google Earth trying to find some likely places and making some progress. Maps came in and they are helping too. Going to be a great week no matter what I catch, just getting out to fish is enough. Wish the shelling was better but will have fun with that too. Thanks in advance for any advice.
SC2079BS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Snapper

Gummys work on the trout, it works good for several species including Bonita, I don't really like casting it much.
I caught a nice Pompano on a crab pattern a couple of days ago and I'm sure they'd work for Reds, which I have not caught on a fly yet.
Clousers also work good for most species your after.
6&8 will be good, I like my 8 as I can cast it further, but it's good to have a back up.
wtbfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.