Fly Tying with road kill - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Fly Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Fly Tying with road kill

Disclaimer. Collecting road kill may be illegal in some states BUT---that being said, I can't imagine getting ticketed for a squirrel tail. I do not collect feathers from Spotted Owls, Bald Eagles, Snowy Egrets or Manatees.

Here are a couple of photos of Fox Squirrel tails I have collected recently. The black tail came from a squirrel found dead on Hwy 19 in SE Georgia maybe 30 miles north of Monticello. The orange tail came from a squirrel found dead on Hwy 69 about 40 miles east of Dallas, TX. The cream colored tail came from Citrus County here close to home.
Dorsal surface

Ventral surface.

I keep a pair of dykes and some gallon Zip-Locks in my truck. When I find a
squirrel I clip the tail and store it in the plastic bag. It must be cooled or processed ASAP.

I remove the bone then wash the tail with dish washing detergent then rinse thoroughly. Next I make a strong salt solution using non-iodized salt (pickling salt) and soak the tail 24 hours in the salt then tack to my barn door and dry for a day or so. Rinse again and thoroughly dry. I usually sun dry the tail and then dry it more in a Zip-Lock with Silica gel. After a day or two, I dust the tail with Sevin dust and store it in another plastic bag. When I get ready to use the tail for tying, I vacuum the tail then break it into several pieces. Breaking a tail into several pieces makes it easier to use and I think I get more flies out of it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Trigger

Lol, for the cost of all those zip lock bags, you could have just ordered a tail. You can rest assured I won't be snatching up them bug infested road side tieing supplys, they all yours.
CaptHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

When I was a kid growing up in the late sixities early seventies all of the kids in my neighborhood were into making lures and fly tying. We used anything we could find. We shot many English starlings and sparrows with our pellet rifles and put those feathers to good use including the squirrels during small game season. My mother used to cringe at the stuff we brought home but she made great crock pot squirrel !
grum man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Wicked Awesome
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
Disclaimer. Collecting road kill may be illegal in some states BUT---that being said, I can't imagine getting ticketed for a squirrel tail. I do not collect feathers from Spotted Owls, Bald Eagles, Snowy Egrets or Manatees.
So you're saying I should be showing people my Manatee Feathers? I had no idea....
OTTE*DA*WORM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Snapper

I wasn't going to say it, but I have to agree w/CH @ less than $3 for ready to tie tail that is a lot of work, ea to his own have fun!
wtbfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
White Marlin

Default Quality

You will never find a squirrel tail in a shop that will approach the quality of the big black tail in the photo. If you order on line or from a catalog, you get what you get. Some shops have a fair selection.

I use lots of natural squirrel tail. It moves far better than bucktail and maybe even better than any other hair I can think of. Fox is pretty good too but I like squirrel.

Some folks have said I am going to pick up some sort f exotic disease but I have cleaned and processed all sorts of wild game as well as beef, pork and fowl for 60 years and, so far, I am still kicking pretty high for my age.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Snapper

you're right those are some fine looking tails and they do beat the hell out of store bought, glad there put to good use, I may change my mind if and when I see some like you have found, when it's real cold
wtbfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Snapper

Coyote is good as well. Nuthin wrong with using fresh road kill tyin material in my book.
Paymaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Snapper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

If we're going to eat what we find then we might as well tie with it!
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.