Fly fishing for beginners - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Fly Fishing

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Fly fishing for beginners

When I started out fly fishing there was no internet. Info was had from books and magazines. Fellow fly anglers were, and probably still are, a mixed bag. Some are happy to teach and mentor and some are not. It took me quite a while to ferret out the info I think I have. I sometimes think of it as my truffle pig period. There were little bits here and little bits there, and they had to be found and brought together.

With that in mind I decided to put together a simple webpage on fly fishing, where the emphasis is on the simple and clear. I start from the hook and work myself to the rod. I try to give just enough information on each subject, so a beginner has what he/she needs to get started. I do not try to cover each subject fully, only give enough information for a solid foundation to start from.

I will add a new chapter weekly.

http://everyjonahhasawhale.com/?page_id=950

I hope it can be of use to someone.

Certified Casting Instructor
www.everyjonahhasawhale.com

Last edited by jonasmagn; 04-18-2017 at 12:31 PM.
jonasmagn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

That's really well done. Thanks for sharing it.

I know the feeling of being lost when you start. I am an old, old man now (not really but sometimes it feels like it)....I always say I'm so old that the Dead Sea was just sick when I was a kid.

I got started back around 1970 in earnest. My graduation present from HS in 1972 was a flyrod but I was already hopelessly hooked by then.

True story...my dad took me to big box store (maybe K Mart?) so I could pick out what I wanted. I didn't know much but I knew the guy working there knew less than I did. He tried to sell me small weights so I could get some distance. As for flies, I had to order them from a shop in South Amboy, NJ (funny the things you remember). You called and ordered them over the phone and daddy made damn sure I had my list ready because this was a long distance call and you got charged for it.

You younger guys may not realize there was a time before cell phones.

Anyway...something like this is so valuable for somebody starting out and, really for all of us.

Just curious...where are you located?
Sage Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Sage man.

Thanks for your comment and sharing your memories.
I got started in 86 in Iceland. How that came about involved a terrible car accident. One passenger made it, and subsequently invited me fishing and that was that. I think I will have to write a blog about that someday - but I have to be careful because of the trauma and mortality associated with that event.
Now I will be adding chapters every Friday until I am done with the project, but I would like comments and corrections that are inevitable when doing something like this.

I currently live in Gulf Breeze

Jonas
wtbfishin' likes this.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Mingo

Mr. Jonas is a GREAT fly instructor. Very knowledgable and eager to see everyone excel with a fly rod in their hands. He was very generous with his time and I am still extremely grateful. I only wish he would let me attempt to repay him hahaha. When are we going fishing Mr. Jonas? Our schedules haven't aligned yet but they will. Im planning a 3mb fly trip soon. You have an open invite.
Lieutenant ZKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Jonas....I'll shoot you a PM but you sound like a good guy to work with on my stroke.

I once was 100% satisfied. Not bragging but I took a group lesson with Chico Fernandez and he had some pretty pointed things to say to the other people but told me I was fine...just fine tune my line to my rod. Again...not bragging...just saying I left feeling pretty competent.

Like a lot of us old guys I've gotten tendonitis in my right shoulder and elbow. I'm sure I'm compensating for it but just don't think I cast as well as I used to. My stroke doesn't feel as "natural" as it used to.

Can you help me?
Sage Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant ZKO View Post
Mr. Jonas is...planning a 3mb fly trip soon. You have an open invite.
Hi Lieutenant Z

Thx for that. It is easy to teach motivated folks. I am looking forward to our trip together - what is a 3mb fly trip?
Gotfw likes this.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Man View Post
Jonas....I'll shoot you a PM but you sound like a good guy to work with on my stroke.

I once was 100% satisfied. Not bragging but I took a group lesson with Chico Fernandez and he had some pretty pointed things to say to the other people but told me I was fine...just fine tune my line to my rod. Again...not bragging...just saying I left feeling pretty competent.

Like a lot of us old guys I've gotten tendonitis in my right shoulder and elbow. I'm sure I'm compensating for it but just don't think I cast as well as I used to. My stroke doesn't feel as "natural" as it used to.

Can you help me?
Sage man

Well we can always try. Now I have done some work with people with bad shoulders - could you please read this post - and reflect on it with an open mind?
http://everyjonahhasawhale.com/?cat=16
It is much easier on the shoulder to use a double hander - or have it to rest the shoulder. We have double handers in all sizes now and we can use conventional spey techniques or a shooting head and cast overhead.
At any rate it is good to have options.
I would love to help you

Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasmagn View Post
Hi Lieutenant Z

Thx for that. It is easy to teach motivated folks. I am looking forward to our trip together - what is a 3mb fly trip?
Sight casting bull reds at night near the bridge that connects pcola to gulf breeze. We can just chase Spanish too.
Lieutenant ZKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #9
Mingo

Nice site, Jonas! We need to fish this fall, bud.
Dunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant ZKO View Post
Sight casting bull reds at night near the bridge that connects pcola to gulf breeze. We can just chase Spanish too.
Lieutenant Z

I am on board - yes sir!

Thx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.