What's so great about BGE? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Mingo

Default What's so great about BGE?

What sets this thing apart from a traditional charcoal grill or a lil smokey? I'm just curious, so please don't send a hitman to take me out. I have heard great things about the BGE, but don't see how it can be that much better than a $25 charcoal grill. Enlighten me for those that have one. What are the disadvantages of it? Can it sit directly on the ground, or does it need to sit on a base of some kind?
timekiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Default RE: What's so great about BGE?

People think you are lying to them but food does taste alot better on the Egg. Its more tender and moist. It can sit on the ground but I do recommend a stand, you can get one for $100 or so. There is no other grill on the market that can smoke a brisqet at low temp then cook ribeyes at 700' and do it with the ease of the BGE.I can cook on the same batch of coal 4 or 5 times before adding more. If you know someone that owns one buy some steaks and burgers and try it out. It is the best money Ive ever spent on anything cooking, I use mine at least 3 times a week and alot more when work is slower during the winter months. Hell we're going to bake a pound cake in ours, how many grills can you do that in? And if you buy a cheap $100 grill and it last a year or 2 then you have to buy another one it adds up. Drop $700 or whatever it is on a BGE and it will out last you.

Ask Jason about his, he was kinda skeptical a little like you at first and he posts BGE reports all the time on here. He will tell you its the best thing he owns?
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
~~~~~~~Creepin'~~~~~~~
Grand Slam

Timekiller, it's kinda hard to say if you ever cook on one you'd buy it.....Like Chase said, I was skeptical about all the hype and now I kick myself fer not buying 1 years ago!!!! I enjoy every aspect about my egg and even joined a forum specifically fer folks who cook on the egg... http://www.eggheadforum.com

I use to cook on a gas grill about 2-3 times a month, now I cook 3-4 times a week....I experiment on it, it's a smoker, grill, I just blackened some AJ on it the other night....

PRO's- Everything cooks wonderfully (experience helps) Dinner, desserts, appetizers Very little use of lump coal. Exterior of the grill gets hot but would not scoarch you like a metal grill so it's safer fer kids. Cooks quickly due to it being sealed tight and convection works in. Maintain long term temperatures (great fer smoking) I kept a brisket steady fer 17 hours! Cleanup consists of the grill grate, any drippings usually cook away, and empty the firebox of ash (easy). The egg has a GREAT warranty, if bought new. It is an attractive grill. I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.......

CON's- Cost's (My large w/ all acc. was $750 but will last a lifetime.) We usually went through a $350 grill every 5 years. Once you cook on 1 and figure it out, you kick yourself fer not getting 1 years ago. Once you get 1 and get use to it, you'll want another 1!!!

Go to the egghead forum and just look around at everything the egg does. Ifin you are at a place in life where you can afford 1, get 1. Heck even used 1's retain their value, if you don't like it...you could probably get most your money back ifin you sold it....

Good Luck!

Genesis 1:26

God said,“Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky,over the livestock and all the wild animals,and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Jason is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

The egg maintains temp very well and I have not had issues with flare ups(even while cooking chicken thighs). I loaded it with charcoal sunday night and started cooking a boston butt at 10 pm 210 degrees never adjusted it went to bed got up and checked it at 8 am still 210 degrees. Once you get used to cooking on it you will not be sorry you got it. I cook on mine every chance I get. Also great with the high temp cooks like steak and tuna. Well worth the money in my opinion. Go see Sky at Escambia Electric Motor.
Folmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
WW2
Grand Slam

Anyone got a good website that has everything BGE with pricing?
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
little ol me !
Snapper

I had alot of the same reservations about a BGE as some of the above folks have. Why spend 500-600 bucks on an egg, when I can do the same with a cheaper product.

I purchased one almost a year ago now, from Sky down at Escambia Electric Motors, and I'll make you the same offer that I have made other folks, and the same offer the LiteCatch made me when I was on the fence about buying one.

You buy an Egg, use it for a month, don't like it, and I'll buy it from you !! Just bring me your receipt, and the egg, and I'll give you the cash !! LiteCatch still has just his one egg, and I still have just one egg !! Look on Craigslist for a used egg...doubt you will find one !! In fact I just did a search on craigslist, got 11 hits since Apr 23, 4 of which were looking for a used egg to purchase, and 2 announcing that there used egg had sold !

I love cooking on mine. You can try to dry out a piece of meat, but you won't be able to ! About the only Cons to an egg that I can think of is that since they are ceramic, they can be broken ! Also since they form a good seal when closed, you can burn the hell out of yourself if you open one to fast...sorta a mini back draft type thing happens. The rush of fresh oxygen into the fire makes for some rapid growth of the fire, and can follow the path of the oxygen back to your hand....so wear a glove when opening the egg if it has been slow cooking for a while !!

The egg also does an amazingly good job of maintaining a low temp for a long period of time. When I slow cook a roastof some kind, I spend about an hour getting the temp just right. Hour starts from the initial liting of the fire, till Ihit and maintain the target temp. Then it's like the Ronco commercials, set it and forget it !!

I have cooked cakes, cobblers, roasts, steaks, ribs, boston butts, pizza....anywhere from 225, to 700

Drop me a PM, i'm thinking of doing a Standing Rib Roast this weekend and if you want to travel to Pace, you are welcome to dine with my family !! Hell anybody else want to come, drop me a line !!....gotta call Oakes and see if he has some prime rib on hand !!
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
WW2
Grand Slam

So, what makes the BGE better than the Primo grills.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Nat
Grouper

Quote:
timekiller (30/05/2010)What sets this thing apart from a traditional charcoal grill or a lil smokey? I'm just curious, so please don't send a hitman to take me out. I have heard great things about the BGE, but don't see how it can be that much better than a $25 charcoal grill. Enlighten me for those that have one. What are the disadvantages of it? Can it sit directly on the ground, or does it need to sit on a base of some kind?
You can't comparea BGE to a $25.00 grill................

most el cheapo charcoal grills are impossible to cook a good meal

you constantly are adjusting the grill height or the damper and your food taste like an ashtray

most rust out in a couple seasons

The best way to put it, is this

with the BGE you can cook with finesse, and to perfection every time

if you don't want a big ole table, taking up all your porch space,,,,,get the nest
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
~~~~~~~Creepin'~~~~~~~
Grand Slam

Quote:
WW2 (02/06/2010)So, what makes the BGE better than the Primo grills.
I don't think Primo has a warranty like the egg, and when I looked at Primo---their prices were 150+ more then the egg. Can't beat Sky's price on the egg!!!

Genesis 1:26

God said,“Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky,over the livestock and all the wild animals,and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Jason is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Mingo

I've had the Primo XL Oval for a couple years and love it. My son sold his egg to get a Primo mainly because of the extra cooking area. The place on Gulf Beach Hwy has a good deal on them. Both are good, Just a matter of prefference.
bertram31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.