Canned mullet - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Misc. Forums > Recipes and Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Canned mullet

A few years ago I was fishing on the Navarre pier and Danny had a bud who was sharing some canned mullet, it had been canned with peppers and I dont know what else but would love to get the recipe if anyone has it. It was great stuff !
joerotorrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Canned mullet

Dang canned tuna is pretty bad stuff but canned mullet must be plain nasty, just my H2O
ReelDuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
~~~~~~~Creepin'~~~~~~~
Grand Slam

Quote:
ReelDuel (3/18/2009)Dang canned tuna is pretty bad stuff but canned mullet must be plain nasty, just my H2O
I DON'T CARE FER CANNED TUNA BUT CANNED MULLET IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!! My buddy cuts up chunks then puts a few slices of jalepeno in the bottom with a small amount of olive oil, then pressure cooks it. unfortunately don't know how long or what temp??? My aunt in Va does deer meet too, and that is purty good too! All canned meats looks nasty, but makes good snacks!!!! Oughta be able to find out on line some where??? Good luck!:letsdrink

Genesis 1:26

God said,“Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky,over the livestock and all the wild animals,and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Snapper

I've heard it was great from every one I've talked to but never got a chance to try it myself. I'd love to have a way to preserve all the extra mullet I give away!
Team Bloody Waters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Sailfish

I don't know how to do it but it is good
Travis Gill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Sailfish

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl5_lblFullMessage>Alot of different ways that people can them. This is the easiest way to me:

Take several fillets of mullet and add them to about the bottom of the lid line on a mason jar (about 1/4 inch from the top). You can put hot mustard, jalapeno's, hot sauce or nothing at all to them. Do not add water or oil as the mullet will put off enough liquid to keep it moist. Seal thejar with new seals and rings, tighten them and place in a pressure cooker (don't forget to add water to the pressure cookerto about halfway up the outside of the jar) and pressure cook for 1 hour. Let the pressure cooker release and remove the jars (use an oven mitt or towel), place them on something heat resistant and tighten the lid again (use the towel!). You will begin to hear the seals popping as they cool. This let's you know that you have a good seal. It's kinda neat to look at the jars15 to20 minutes later and they are still boiling inside the jar. I swear this will be some of the best snack food you will eat out on a fishing trip or hunting. It will beat the hell out of a can of tuna. If you need some help just holler at me and I can walk you through it.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
White Marlin

i read a recipe on the old forum from our admin. chris couture...maybe he'll chime in later...i've never had any canned but, it sounds like it ought to be good...smoked mullet is pretty dang good...
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the worked are so formidable as the will and moral and courage of free men and women. It is a weapon adversaries in today's world do not have". -Ronald Reagan, USA
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
Snapper

i'd rather eat a can of assholes.... just my two cents.... then again, i do eat some weird shiznit...
NavySnooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 AM   #9
Grouper

Cook it for 90 minutes at 10 PSI (90 minutes once you reach pressure)... I'll post some old links from recipes I posted a few years ago. Everyone who tries it always wants more. It's nothing like canned Tuna!!!

Let me find the old links... BRB...
Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
Grouper

Here you go... posted this almost 5 years ago...

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...id=215&posts=6

I'll copy and paste so you don't have to click unless you want to...

Man that is some good stuff! Mullet seems to work the best! Everyone I give it to loves it! It's a lot of work but well worth it. It keeps for months and can be eaten right out of the jar without heating it or anything.

Interested? I've canned Mullet, Mingo, Cobia, King, Tuna, Wahoo, Dolphin and Red Snapper. The best to me is Mullet.

Requires a pressure cooker. The bigger the better!

Cut up the fish into chunk 1" or so and the thickness of the filet. If a larger fish, you may want to split. 1/4" or so works well. Put on ice...

Chop up a good onion or a few depending on your batch. Put in a bowl.

Get some sliced Jalapinpos and place in a bowl.

Get some whole bay leaves and place in a bowl.

I like the pint jars because they are just enough but any would work. Wash well and boil the tops to get the seal to get sticky.

Lay out fish on wax paper or whatever and sprinkle with Tony's, Garlic Salt and whatever else you want. I usually only do those two.

Remove all water from jars and load with fish, onions, pepers and repeat until 1/4" from the top. Place a bay leaf on top and hand tighten the lid on.

Repeat until you have filled the pressure cooker and put on heat with water in the cooker. Amount of water depends on size of cooker but put enough to last 90 minutes. Set on 10PSI and cook for 90 minutes once the pressure valve jiggles.

Let cool, open and remove the jars. Wait an hour and check the lids to make sure they sealed. If not, eat at once or discard.

The others will have about 1/2 liquid in the jar... this is normal. Put up and eat on a ritz! I've eaten it 9 months later and didn't get sick!

Try it, you will love it!

Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.