What to watch for - help a newbie - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Kayak Forum > Kayak Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Trigger

Default What to watch for - help a newbie

So I am new to this. I got the call that my big tuna will be here Wednesday so I am trying to learn a little bit. I will be fishing off the beach only in glassy conditions until I learn a little bit. That said, I know conditions can change n a hurry. So besides the big obvious storm cloud or increasing winds what do i need to look for that can indicate a dangerous situation or changes.

I have seen things about offshore winds and swells that grow closer together but not sure I understand it. Also is there anything in currents that would be harmful in an otherwise smooth day? Other things a newbie needs to know to stay upright and safe?

Many thanksgiving advance!
froglegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Grouper

Well for me the biggest thing is launching through the surf and returning through the surf, its all about timing and how big the surf is. I go to swellinfo.com (i think thats it) and if the surf is bigger than 1.6 I will fish inshore, but thats me. I have learned that first thing in the morning I will paddle out into the wind and then let the wind help me back.

As far as safety while on the gulf, always where PFD, at least 3 signal flares (by law), whistle, saftey flag (optional), hand held VHF radio (optional) and use the BUDDY system. I would first do some inshore fishing and get used to the new kayak.
Enjoy and good luck
pompanopete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Leaving A float plan with family or friends saying where your going and what to you expect to be back is a good idea.

One thing I learned is not to be stubborn. If the conditions start to look like they might get bad start heading in. Dont wait because you think it might get better.

With the winds im still learning. I know certain directions will be worse then others but i havent gone enough to figure em out.

I was wondering if you could do a little review on the tuna once you get it. there isnt much first hand info on it other then the videos from the seller.
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbeast1210 View Post

I was wondering if you could do a little review on the tuna once you get it. there isnt much first hand info on it other then the videos from the seller.

Yes sir. Glad too
Old 06-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Grouper

heres a tip i learned the hard way my first trip out into the gulf. Don't ride the waves in to the beach. At the time, I was fishing out of an Old Town sit in kayak. It didn't make for a very good submarine...
Bo Keifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Keifus View Post
heres a tip i learned the hard way my first trip out into the gulf. Don't ride the waves in to the beach. At the time, I was fishing out of an Old Town sit in kayak. It didn't make for a very good submarine...
Good advice that I was able to pick up from several other conversations. What about swells further out? Is it best to let them slip underneath and not try to catch them?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglegs View Post
Good advice that I was able to pick up from several other conversations. What about swells further out? Is it best to let them slip underneath and not try to catch them?
Yeah, treat large swells out in open water as if they were surf and attack them with caution. Its very easy to get caught off guard in open water, especially while fighting fish. I personally don't like riding the waves in open water, so I always hit them head on or at a safe angle. Swim that kayak in.
PAWGhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWGhunter View Post
Yeah, treat large swells out in open water as if they were surf and attack them with caution. Its very easy to get caught off guard in open water, especially while fighting fish. I personally don't like riding the waves in open water, so I always hit them head on or at a safe angle. Swim that kayak in.
Got it! Now what is a safe angle...anything is better than sideways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.