Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Skunked at Henderson

919 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kanaka 
#1 ·
My friend and I launched by the back porch restaurant this morning about 6:30. Didn't catch anything trolling rapalas 0.25-0.5 miles from the beach, parallel to it. I tried fishing cut mullet about 200 yards from the beach and didn't pick anything up either. There was no bird action, although I did see a couple of small tarpon surface.

This is my first time in the area. I have the GPS coordinates for the urchin and sand flea reefs, but I forgot my anchor. Is it worth trolling through these artificial reef areas or is it only a bottom fishing gig?

Also, I'm used to the coastline around Port Aransas and Corpus Christi TX. There, all he fish congregate around the near shore oil rigs and bait fish can be sabiki'd up from the rig pylons. How do you kayakers find your live bait in these waters? I've read things suggesting the jetties and other areas, but that could make for along paddle and it would be hard to keep those fish kicking.

Any tips are appreciated.

-Brett

#2 ·
Very worth while trolling. Bait is usually from 10-30' depths, you should be able to see the activity or see them swimming around you.
If you have the locations but no bottom machine, you can always figure out drift direction, get about 30'-50' upcurrent of location, drop bottom rig and drift past structure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.