Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Hobie Pro Angler 12 rudder mod

11K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  roadx 
#1 ·
i made a new larger rudder for the PA 12. it was made out of lexan (polycarbonate) the process took about an hour to make and another hour to fit

sorry for the crappy cell phone pic's

testing it out tomorrow for bug hunt'n

See less See more
#5 ·
not a big deal just trying to improve maneuvering when in tight areas in wind and current.
the stock 12 steering in a straight line is about the same as my outack with the sailing rudder. the problem is when stopped, depending on how the current and wind is, it will take a few kicks to get it going in the direction you want it to go. some say they have problems with drifting but i can get the yak bow turned the direction i want it in just by using the rudder, so thats not a problem for me.
be careful when at high speed and turning sharp. it reacts fast

#8 ·
Well, looks like there is no PM feature on this site, so I'll just ask - would you be interested in making me two of these rudders (I have two PA's)? I'll pay whatever you ask! :)

I don't have any experience cutting polycarbonate so the chances of me making this by myself are pretty remote!

#13 ·
i never owned a 14. i jumped from the outback to the 12. outback with the sailing rudder wins hands down but the 12 excells everywhere else.

not sure why they havent made a sailing rudder for the 12 & 14.
my mod helps and im sure hobie could sell them.

the rudder tucks up nice and in the up position wont touch the ground.

#16 ·
baldona523 said:
How does that lexan cut, sand, and drill? I have a jig saw and basic dremel, will those do well enough? Anything special to know? I chipped my regular rudder and was going to buy a sailing rudder but I may jus get a sheet of it
I use it at work all the time. You should use sharp blades and bits to keep the chips to a minimum. For a very clean cut with a jig saw, sandwich it between a couple pieces of plywood, or whatever you have. Works for drilling holes too, if you don't have a sharp bit. It sands easily enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.