Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Fishing Destin area 3/27 - 3/29

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Foulhook 
#1 ·
Hello,

First post here - although I have lurked for a couple weeks... I am heading down to Destin area Thursday through Saturday with my brother and my two sons to do some kayak fishing. We are staying at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Going to try for whatever is biting, hopefully redfish and specks, maybe a cobia if we are really lucky. I try to get this stuff planned out, but I could use a little help on a few questions:

1) What is best put in location to get to the Destin bridge / pass area?
2) I don't think Topsail Hill has a fish cleaning station, is there a park or place around that allows you to clean your catch?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

#3 ·
Be careful

Hello,

First post here - although I have lurked for a couple weeks... I am heading down to Destin area Thursday through Saturday with my brother and my two sons to do some kayak fishing. We are staying at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Going to try for whatever is biting, hopefully redfish and specks, maybe a cobia if we are really lucky. I try to get this stuff planned out, but I could use a little help on a few questions:

1) What is best put in location to get to the Destin bridge / pass area?
2) I don't think Topsail Hill has a fish cleaning station, is there a park or place around that allows you to clean your catch?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

I would be very careful in the Destin pass, I have never personally been in a Kayak in it but I have been in some large Offshore boats in it and can tell you that in certain conditions it would be pretty dumb to be out there in a Kayak. Ask some locals before going, I would launch west of the pass if I were you.

#4 ·
i would launch off the beach at topsail should be some reds and pomps on the beach and maybe cobia and spanish between the beach and a mile offshore if its rough go to the end of holiday isle and launch in the harbor fish the back end with live shrimp for mixed inshore bag

#6 ·
I have many many many hours of experience offshore kayak fishing and you wont ever find me in Destin pass. Its not a place for kayakers, especially if youre unfamiliar with our area.

You can launch as mentioned, on the west side under the sign. Go north and west around the CG station. Hit the jetties there and the grass flats all through there.

If you want a guide for offshore fishing give me a ring. Rates are very reasonable and as always, no fish, no pay!

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies - just to clarify a few things:

1) How do you define what is the "pass"? I am thinking it is the area from south of the bridge to the outlet past the breakwalls. I wasn't actually planning on fishing this, as I had a hairy experience at Oregon Inlet in the Outer Banks a few years back (which is laid out pretty similar). What I was thinking I would hit was crab island and the NW side of the bridge out of the main channel - my thoughts are if people can stand there and chicken fight my plastic navy can handle it. Let me know if I am wrong as I do always put safety first!

2. JD7 - appreciate the offer, if it was just me I would absolutely do it but I have the whole crew to think about and I am not sure my youngest is ready for offshore yet anyways (he is 13). We have been inspired by some of your Youtube videos!

We will make sure to post a report or two however it turns out, I hope you guys know how lucky you are to be able to get after em year round! If anyone ever happens to be in Cincinnati and wants to chase some river bronzebacks look me up!

#14 ·
The forecast is for a LOT of wind this weekend and some rain on Fri and Sat. Check Weather Underground. If you want to launch into the Gulf while you are down here. Head east from Topsail park on 30A about three miles to Gulf Place and Ed Walline Park on the Gulf. You can off load you yaks and it is a short drag down to the surf. If you get there early you should be able to park in the parking lot there. Be watchful of the conditions. A good north wind will make the surf flat but when you get out of the shadow of the dunes and buildings it will be blowing hard and you could find yourself headed to Cuba and having to paddle/peddle like mad to make it back in.

Never try to get into the Gulf through the Destin pass in a yak. Boat traffic and current can really make it dangerous. Crab island will still have boaters too but they will be going a lot slower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.