Trail Cams - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Sailfish

Location: Ozark, Missouri - 6 miles from Bass Pro Shops' world headquarters.
Default Trail Cams

I'm not trying to p--- anyone off or start any kind of fight, but I'm considering getting a trail cam and want to know:

Do trail cams improve your hunting? Is your success ratio higher? Are your kills bigger?

I've never used a camera, but see all the posts, and was wondering. If I can justify that they they will add to my hunting experience, I'm gonna get me one. I know a camera will let you see what has been there, but tracks and scrapes do the same. But if, in reality, they don't do anything to improve the hunting, then I'm gonna stick to scouting, tracks, and scrapes.

Comments please.
fishn4real is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Default RE: Trail Cams

Lets you know what you have on your property. If the deer is coming out at 2am aint gonna help you much. Helps pattern deer that come out in the day. Many advantages to having one, plus they are just cool as hell.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Trigger

I agree that it lets you see what you have on the property. When I see the deer live, I can typically judge it quicker because I have seen a picture/video of it. You can pattern deer, i.e. know WHEN he is hitting the scrape rather than, he has hit it since it rained, etc. Cool factor is way high. One of my friends bought one after seeing my pictures and he said every time he swaps his memory card it is like opening a Christmas present. I have found that the IR/non-flash cameras will typically capture MORE bucks because less flash spook. I must say I have gotten some real good bucks on a flash camera, but when I went to a non-flash on the same property, the number of bucks I got on camera was much more. Just my .02.
ButlerCoOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Sailfish

Just like spittine said, they are another tool to help you kill the bigger deer or let you know whats going on in the area. Just think of it as a hunter in the woods, at all times, reporting to you every second of the day, without the scent or pressure.

wes
Caspr21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Grouper

One of the best piece's of equipment you can buy in my opinion. I run 8 camera's in various location's and it really show's you what is out there. Like the other member's mentioned, it is alway's a blast checking your card's and finding a new buck. The Moultrie I40 is a great camera to start out with, and buy 2 sd card's so you can swap them out in the field and leave the camera. You won't regret it.
imkilroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Could not imagine not having one out, I run them year round. When hunting, the only thing I consider more important than my cameras is the weapon in my hand, they are that important to me!!!!! If you are trying to manage the land you hunt, it would be very helpful to you to invest in at least one, if not more to let you see what is going on...They are absolutely vital in a good land/deer managment program...
deercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Quote:
fishn4real (1/28/2009)I'm not trying to p--- anyone off or start any kind of fight,
????

Quote:
fishn4real (1/28/2009) Are your kills bigger?
no. cameras do nothing to improve the quality of your herd. that comes from management.

Quote:
fishn4real (1/28/2009)
I know a camera will let you see what has been there, but tracks and scrapes do the same.
Absolutely false. Deer sign (tracks, scrapes, rubs, droppings) show you that deer have been there. They do NOT show you WHAT has been there, and WHEN. This is where a camera comes in. A camera allows you to see deer that you didn't even know you had on your property. Particularly bigass bucks that are nocturnal. They allow you to start patterning your deer such as if you place a camera on an intersection of several trails and leave it up for a month or so. You can see what time the deer are crossing, from what direction, heading towards what direction, etc. You can notice factors such as moon phase and how it impacts deer movement. Temperature, too. They give you the ability to become a better hunter. They "lay it out, for you to play it out."
Captain Woody Woods is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Snapper

Have you ever sat on/in a deer stand and wondered if you were just wasting your time? After seeing some of the pictures on my trail camera, I could sit for much longer with much anticipation of seeing that quality buck...especially whenduring pre-rut or once the rut actually begins.
Misn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Sailfish

Location: Ozark, Missouri - 6 miles from Bass Pro Shops' world headquarters.

Ok; thanks guys. I'm convinced.
fishn4real is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
Bassmaster
Snapper

I would have to agree with everyone so far, especially the"Christmas morning effect" everytime you check the camera. It has definately helped me decided where I need to be spending my time in the woods and where not to spend as much time. For example, I hunted an area last year that had a couple of really nice, well used trails. I spent a lot of time in there and seen nothing but does and small spikes, but still figured there has to be a bigger buck coming through sometime. I bought two cameras and left one of them on the trails for a month.........not one buck bigger than a 4pt walked by. Had I had the camera early in the year, I would have know to try other spots to kill bucks. Like others have said, it helps you pattern the deer in the area and it has let me see bucks that I never would have dreamed are walking around our property (mostly at night of course, but they are still in the area!!!)
J Smithers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.