Is the rut on in Escambia county - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Is the rut on in Escambia county

Went out Sunday and climbed tree at about 7am. in an area two week ago I seen four deer chasing each other. Two were big bodyed deer, chasing what I thought was a doe, and the other was a spike trailing the three bigger deer. Could not see their heads, except the spike that kept running and stopping about twenty yards from me. This is on a 40 ac. track my family own near cantonment. I put it off as a bunch of does just playing around since I thought it was two early for the bucks to be chasing.Well, this morning at about 8am Two rack bucks came by. The first buck came by and stoped, but i could not see his rack good enough to tell if it was a shooter. After he walked off a ways and turned his head, i could see that he was a shooter, but could not get a shot. While he was walking out of sight, another one came down the same trail, about 60 yards behind him that also had a rack. He looks to have a decent rack. BANG! Down he goes. A seven point with a 14 in spread. When I walked up to take a look, i could smell him from five ft away. His torsals glands were smoking. Could the rut have started in my area two week ago early and is going on now. I think those deer i seen two days ago were not playing, and those deer are the same two buck i seen today thay were after the doe. Do yall think the rut is on in Escambia county Fl, or this is just pre-rut activity. Found three scrapes in area too.
gman2525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Sailfish

I'm stuck here in Orlando, so I'm hoping it will hold off until at least Thursday when I get back and start vacation...sure sounds like it's happening now.
PensacolaEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Trigger

Talking

got a 7 point other day that smelled great lol but neck was not swollen. and a guy a few spots from me got a nice 8 pt grunting and chasing a doe. the rut is here for a few bucks i would say if u r waiting for the full rut to kick in you need to be there every day now if u can it should be any day now when buck stupidity kicks in fully, good luck
whitetailwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Day Hunts
Cigar Minnow

Default north escambia rut

i sell day hunts ouside of century. 4 hunters on +200 acre property friday and sat. no activity observed. i think too cold. hunters observed turkey and deer activity sunday but no day time bucks running. suspect still pre-rut in north escambia but should start very soon. scraps and rubs everywhere for the last month.
soundsidedon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.