Keep'n your feet warm tip! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Hunting/Shooting Forum > Hunting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Brett S
Cigar Minnow

Default Keep'n your feet warm tip!

This is a very good tip that lots of people may find ridiculous, but it works. First, I know every hunter has had cold feet while hunting one time or another. Usually this is do to your feet sweating, as you make the walk to and from your hunting location. Next time your at a grocery store, pick you up a non scented aerosol can of deoderant. Before you put on your socks, spray your feet down with the deoderant. What this does is keeps your feet from sweating, much like it does for your underarms. By doing this you prevent sweating, and your feet will not get cold. Who knows, cold feet has probably prevented all of us from bagging a trophy one time or another. The longer you can sit, the better your chances!
21ptman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Change your socks often... even if it means taking off your boots in cold conditions.

DRY wool socks are a BIG comfort.

Those "smart wool" socks are GREAT!!! Even if you don't change them.

Just from survival school in the Navy and fishing in the winter.

Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Trigger

I was at the hunting club the other day and was told a very interesting way to keep your feet dry.....A guy that hunts in our club said he has problems with his feet not staying dry. He said an old man told him to use Maxi-pads place directly on the soles of your feet and then put your socks on over them...he said he has been doing this for 15 years and his feet always stay dry I gotta try it I guess!!!!! Another tip is to use tampons for scent wicks during the rut- the pee absorbs into the material and stays there for a while. It works- I promise Only problem is you look like a freak if anyone sees you in the woods
Dubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
twiceRetired Serve No One
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubie View Post
I was at the hunting club the other day and was told a very interesting way to keep your feet dry.....A guy that hunts in our club said he has problems with his feet not staying dry. He said an old man told him to use Maxi-pads place directly on the soles of your feet and then put your socks on over them...he said he has been doing this for 15 years and his feet always stay dry I gotta try it I guess!!!!! Another tip is to use tampons for scent wicks during the rut- the pee absorbs into the material and stays there for a while. It works- I promise Only problem is you look like a freak if anyone sees you in the woods
I hear Pantie Hose under your thermals help also ,

think I would Rather just be cold than risk being taken to emergency room with all that going on .

would suck to make the paper !
HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Trigger

Um... shouldn't it be antiperspirant? A non-scented deodorant wouldn't really be effective for, say, anything. It's like a hamburger without the meat.
wetley49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Sailfish

I usually keep mine warmest by keeping them under the covers and sticking them between my girl's legs when they get too cold. She does't care for that too much but it when she hits me it helps me go back to sleep.
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

I'm guessing it clogs your pores from sweating just like underarm deodorant.
THANKS for the tip.
I purchased a pair of the Muck boots, and they have already shown an improvement, but then I haven't hunted in really low temps yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ptman View Post
This is a very good tip that lots of people may find ridiculous, but it works. First, I know every hunter has had cold feet while hunting one time or another. Usually this is do to your feet sweating, as you make the walk to and from your hunting location. Next time your at a grocery store, pick you up a non scented aerosol can of deoderant. Before you put on your socks, spray your feet down with the deoderant. What this does is keeps your feet from sweating, much like it does for your underarms. By doing this you prevent sweating, and your feet will not get cold. Who knows, cold feet has probably prevented all of us from bagging a trophy one time or another. The longer you can sit, the better your chances!
Emerald Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Ghost View Post
I'm guessing it clogs your pores from sweating just like underarm deodorant.
THANKS for the tip.
I purchased a pair of the Muck boots, and they have already shown an improvement, but then I haven't hunted in really low temps yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought a pair of the Muck Woody Armor's and they do fine until you make the .75 mile walk an the 25mph wind gets to them. They are suppose to have a comfort range down to -20 but I have figured out the active comfort maybe down to -20 but the sitting comfort is more like 40-45. My feet sweat a lot after the long walks I make but I just deal with the cold feet ( it keeps me up)
scbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I use the thick "Smart Wool" and don't have issue with dampness. My stand is a 20mins walk from the camp. My issue is lack of blood circulation from sitting too long.
Flipstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Trigger

9 volt battery powered socks from cabelas good investment
love to hog hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.