Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Ground hunting tips/tactics

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Brandon_SPC2 
#1 ·
After seeing tryn's success from the ground and myself starting to do it more just wondering if y'all got any good tips or info for hunting from the ground. What to look for for setting up? Do you move around or stay put? I have had a little succes doing it but I've got busted too.

#2 ·
OK my best setup is a folding camp chair and shooting sticks. You can set up on any spot and play the wind. I've taken numerous deer just backing into a treeline or fenceline. One was looking right at the box stand that most folks would have used. Very flexible. Just keep movements to a minimum and wear some camo.

#4 · (Edited)
Be the Deer! Imagine his direction, motive, destination, and where he is likely to be looking. Plan your shot to be a walking away shot, not a walking towards you shot. Back up against a tree or my favorite is a downed treetop. Palmetto leaves are awesome camouflage! Make up your mind to not look where you can't shoot. Movement will get ya busted. Don't look at every noise until you hear it 3 times and it still sounds like a deer. Move your eyes not your head. Be patient! Good luck!!

#7 ·
... oh and get you a decent chair that's easy to fold and carry but comfortable. Mine has a back and armrests. I also do camo coveralls. I think they keep scent in and the camo is more continuous
And cup holders. Has to have cup holders.

#6 ·
I killed my 417 yard shot buck from the ground, sitting in a bag chair. Also, the biggest doe I ever shot was from a ground sit. Like Try'n said, back up to a tree or something to break up your outline, and definitely HOLD STILL. Wear camo head to toe.

And never, ever, take Codwrinkle with you. :no:

#14 ·
JCOSS I hunt Yellow River like you and it is much easier to see from the ground most of the time. First I have had great luck using EverCalm as a cover scent. Next buy you a Millennium tree seat or the Millennium Blind chair. I have both. The tree seat is much lighter and easier to carry, but you have to move your body more to see in all directions. The blind chair is on a pedestal that swivels so if you hear something behind you just turn around in the chair. I have seen many deer and hogs while hunting on the ground. Many of those saw me too. Just remember not to go to sleep like I do a lot. You don't want to open your eyes and have a big boar staring at you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.