Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Any serious turkey hunters around milton?

3K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  hyco 
#1 ·
I have access to a piece of property that's really swampy with a creek that flows through it. I deer hunted a couple times this past week and heard lots of turkey gobbles in the early morning. I've never hunted them and would like to try this year. Anybody have any inputs for a beginner?

#2 ·
Get a Lynche's box call. It's the easiest to learn. You only need two calls, the cluck and the yelp. If you can roost one the evening before so you'll know where to setup the next morning. A blind is a good idea. Get there before daylight. When he gobbles from the tree. Do a soft yelp and shutup. Wait for him to flydown. You cannot move once he is in sight. Camo every inch of your body. Cluck a couple of times and yelp. If he answers, get ready. Good luck.You can PM me if you have specific questions. I'm by no means an expert but I've screwed up enough times to learn a few things.

#20 ·
I considered that and I think it's a non-criminal or criminal misdemeanor of which they had 2 yrs to take me down. I'm obviously about admitting my mistakes and advising others here on being a more informed hunter. I bet if a hen runs up to Chaps at daylight on opening morning he will remember to look for a beard!!

#25 ·
I went and scouted today. As I was walking down a path, I heard some rustling in a tree and watched a turkey fly out. Can I assume that's a good location and set up very near by?
Also, what's the best shot to use in my 12 gage? Thanks

#28 ·
Nope, nah uh, don't go there. Give me the location and don't ever worry about it again. Also, you don't have to have the high dollar shells for turkeys, get them within 30 to 40 yards and just about any turkey load will work. Just shoot it and see how your shotgun shoots with whatever shell you buy.

#26 ·
Setup bout 100 yards or so. Go very early. No flashlights. Best shot depends on your gun. Mine shoots winchester 3" #5. Better then any 3 1/2" took a few different boxes to pattern my gun to see which put the most pellets in a 10" circle. Some other brands would shoot high right and others very scattered. So it really depends.

sent from outside your window
team 12

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.