Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Underwater Grocery Shopping

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  aquatic argobull 
#1 · (Edited)
Went to the Trysler Grounds natural bottom reef in 127 feet to do my fish shopping for a cookout. Nice dive. Picked up an 11 pound snapper, 5 lionfish and a shovelnose on this dive alone.

I just gutted 15 total lionfish (I speared only the bigger ones that I saw) and I think I'm going to try to make fish jerky with them. Anybody ever tried this before? I've made salmon jerky before and it was fan-f**k**g-tastic. Hope the lionfish dehydrates as well as salmon does. The first fish took me about 10 minutes to clean, but by the time I was done, I was averaging about 1 minute per fish. Finally got a quick strategy to get them cleaned, and for once, didn't get poked even once! :yes:

I'll post some pics and a report to tell how it went.

This is why I don't go to the fish market during snapper season. I do my own shopping :thumbsup:

Didn't feel like doing much editing so it's fairly raw, hope you enjoy!

#6 ·
Lion harvest.

Great video. Been a long time since I visited trysler.
The lobster bag you use to deposit the lions, how do you avoid getting stuck transporting them back to the boat?
A go-pro video of your technique prepping and cleaning a lion would be GREAT if you had the desire.
Again, thanks for sharing the dive.
Snap :thumbup:

#7 ·
Very cool video! How deep was the area you were diving?
This dive was 127 ft.

The lobster bag you use to deposit the lions, how do you avoid getting stuck transporting them back to the boat?
The bag is puncture proof. it's a modified dry bag with a lobster hotel on top. Made by A-Plus marine supply and sold locally at dive shops. Works GREAT for lions and I just throw lobster in there as well and sort them out later.

#14 ·
Aquatic, thanks for the info on the bag. Is there any worry about toxins from the lions sticking one another in the bag? If so, what precautions do you take? I like the idea of not worrying with the spines under water.
That never really crossed my mind. The toxin is very mild, though. I think in the beginning of this lionfish invasion, the press got a hold of a lot of photos of people who were allergic to the lionfish venom and now everybody thinks that is what will happen to them. Ask around, I've been stung about 4 times and for me, it is not even as bad as a bee sting. The puncture wound is worse than the venom.

#19 ·
Forgot to mention. I made lionfish and snapper jerky as an experiment and it was the jam! Great stuff:thumbup: I'm going to keep that in mind next time, it's a good way to preserve fish and its a really tasty snack.

Food Dishware Cuisine Dish Plate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.