Freedivers - research paper on acute respiratory symptoms - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Freedivers - research paper on acute respiratory symptoms

This is the abstract from a recent research paper published by DAN's Europe Research Division and others. I thought that some of our free-diving members may be interested, and would like to following up by reading the full article and doing some additional investigation. I apologize in advance for any typos.

Title: Prevalence of acute respiratory symptoms in breath-hold divers

ABSTRACT
Introduction: After repetitive deep dives, breath-hold divers are often affected by a syndrome characterized by typical symptoms such as cough, sensation of chest constriction, blood-striated expectorate (hemoptysis) and, rarely, with various degrees of dyspnea. The aim of this work is an epidemiological investigation to evaluate the prevalence of acute respiratory symptoms (ARS) in breath-hold divers (BHDs) in practicing breath-hold diving.

Materials and methods: A retrospective investigation has been performed using specific questionnaires completed by a selected sample of free-divers (212 breath-hold instructors - 194 male, 18 female; mean age 34 +-6.91 years); affiliated with the International School for Education and Research of Free-Diving. We also investigated possible factors for post-dive acute respiratory symptoms. Furthermore, the authors report that a severe case of acute pulmonary edema occurred to a healthy and experienced breath-hold instructor. We reported a detailed CT scan and follow-up CT scans three days later, with another scan reported 10 days later as well.

Result: A total of 56 subjects (26.4%) reported previous events such as cough, thoracic constraint, hemoptysis, associated with various degrees of dyspnea as confirmation of pulmonary involvement. Forty-five fo them (82%) reported signs of true hemoptysis and a high degree of dyspnea. A CT scan revealed the presence of patchy bilateral lung opacities at the level of superior and parahilar zones; follow-up CT scans three days later and 10 days later are also reported.

Conclusion: Our data show that this is a common condition amoung experianced BHDs. In our opinion, this is particularly interesting for the free-diving community.
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
The Yakslayer
Snapper

I've dabbled and somewhat followed the sport for roughly 13 years but never took it seriously enough to get certified and take formal training. Tomorrow I complete the FII Freediver Level I class in Destin.

I had to look up the terms dyspnea and hemoptysis but I must say and I've not heard of these events being common in the sport. That's not to say they aren't.

How old is the paper?
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJeep View Post
...How old is the paper?
It was just published.
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.