Anyone want in on a Powerhead order? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Anyone want in on a Powerhead order?

Me and a couple other guys are about to place an order for some Beco powerheads. We will receive a discount if we can get 6 people. Right now we have 3 maybe 4 interested so we need 2 or 3 people to get the $20 of discount. If anyone is interested let me know and I can meet you at MBT to collect money to make the order. Here is a link to the website we will be ordering from. I believe the guy said there is about a 2 week back order right now due to alligator season opening.

You can click on the sharks to see pictures of the powerheads.

http://www.beco-products.com/beco_catalog.htm
jer4011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

I've heard its against the law to have one on your boat now. Do you know if thats true.
kwik 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Trigger

I have never heard that, but someone on here with more experience could probably give you an answer.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Snapper

i have not heard that either. i know someone who will be interested and will pass the info on.
below me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Mingo

Default powerhead

Somone is lying to you. It is illegal to powerhead a fish with in 9 miles aka state waters. I carry a ppd almost all the time. However people put way to much thougt in to these things.
Step 1
Piece of pipe to fit bullet size.
Step 2
Piece of rubber hosing to go over piece of pipe.
Step 3
Piece of rubber hosing that will fit in side your other peice of hosing but inside diameter fits your shaft. You don't want it to be snug just the right friction so when you shoot it theres enough lack of friction to slide but not so loose it falls off easily.

I will try and post some pics. All materials total to make 20 ppd will cost maybe 5 dollars plus the price of a bullet. I put one up my wet suit sleave. A friend of min electrical tapes them to the but of his gun. These are much safer because there is no firing pin. If you drop it there is very very little chance it will go off. These are one time use but who cares it probbally cost you $1 with the price of the bullet.

Another trick with any powerhead. You should use finger nail polish around the primer and the neck where the bullet goes in to the casing. Once it dries put about thres coats on it. Once last coat is dryed scrape a little bit off the primar to ensure it goes off. This will ensure the bullet dosen't leak to the powder because basically all you have then is a warm fuzzy without anything to back it up.

Good Luck
amnbowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnbowser View Post
Somone is lying to you. It is illegal to powerhead a fish with in 9 miles aka state waters. I carry a ppd almost all the time. However people put way to much thougt in to these things.
Step 1
Piece of pipe to fit bullet size.
Step 2
Piece of rubber hosing to go over piece of pipe.
Step 3
Piece of rubber hosing that will fit in side your other peice of hosing but inside diameter fits your shaft. You don't want it to be snug just the right friction so when you shoot it theres enough lack of friction to slide but not so loose it falls off easily.

I will try and post some pics. All materials total to make 20 ppd will cost maybe 5 dollars plus the price of a bullet. I put one up my wet suit sleave. A friend of min electrical tapes them to the but of his gun. These are much safer because there is no firing pin. If you drop it there is very very little chance it will go off. These are one time use but who cares it probbally cost you $1 with the price of the bullet.

Another trick with any powerhead. You should use finger nail polish around the primer and the neck where the bullet goes in to the casing. Once it dries put about thres coats on it. Once last coat is dryed scrape a little bit off the primar to ensure it goes off. This will ensure the bullet dosen't leak to the powder because basically all you have then is a warm fuzzy without anything to back it up.

Good Luck
I don't understand what is supposed to strike the primer to make the bullet go off then?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucf_motorcycle View Post
I don't understand what is supposed to strike the primer to make the bullet go off then?
The spear tip. Kinda like these - > http://www.spearfishing.cc/Personal%...n%20Device.htm

I have a .223 version of this kind. I also own a .357 Beco
Plattinum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Mingo

Yeah but mine cost $1-$2 to make and those cost $40. With those I gurantee you will loose the plastic insert that goes in them and will have to buy more. I have owned them in the past tell a friend of mine made one of these home made ones. Then I realized that I had wasted alot of money on the other power heads. It's up to you but I like cheap and more is better.
amnbowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnbowser View Post
Yeah but mine cost $1-$2 to make and those cost $40. With those I gurantee you will loose the plastic insert that goes in them and will have to buy more. I have owned them in the past tell a friend of mine made one of these home made ones. Then I realized that I had wasted alot of money on the other power heads. It's up to you but I like cheap and more is better.
I like cheap. I wasn't suggesting anyone buy either brand, I posted the link so they could see the method by which what your suggesting works. Only yours is not meant to be reuseable, if it is similar to what a diver friend of mine has made in the past. I am all for making your own stuff if someone wants to.
Plattinum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Trigger

Anyone interested in getting in on the order? Also I have heard good things about the Beco brand powerheads. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or have any other brand they prefer? Just curious I have never shot a powerhead before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.