snorkling pensacola bay - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default snorkling pensacola bay

looking for a place that I could take my kids snorkling in the bay or ajecent waters where they might find seahorses, tropical fish like destin jetties, or any other sea life
reel-m-n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
a
FFF Certified Casting Ins
Sailfish

Default RE: snorkling pensacola bay

Good luck! read the paper, Pensacola waters, especialy Pensacola bay are polluted. kids? your kidding.

2014 Pathfinder 22TE
1993 Luhrs 30 ft
1992 Custom built Stauterbuilt 14
2007 Beavertail skiff 17ft (sold)
2003 Pathfinder 22ft TE (sold)
1996 Proline Stalker 18ft (sold)
1990 Chris Craft Seahawk 22ft (sold)
1963 Stauterbuilt 11ft (sold)
a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Sailfish

There are a few spots in the bay that offer some decent snorkeling opportunities, but you won't find anything like the Destin jetties - yet. There are lots of grassbeds along Fort pickens and along Johnson Beach that can be decent if the water is clear and the current's not too strong.

Water quality in the lower part of the Bay isn't bad. I would stay clear of theBayous though.

There aremany people that have been working for years to try to get the county to let us putsnorkeling and diving reefs in shallow water on both sides of Santa Rosa island. There are reportedly permits in the works to make this happen, but given the local history of getting things done, I'll believe it when I see it. Winter is coming, and there will be a lot more folks with extra time on their hands to help fight the fight.
Sportswear and Tees
www.lostbaydesigns.com

www.lostbaytrader.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
White Marlin

Not sure how familiar you are w/ Ft. McRae but, on the westend there's a little cove. It's marked a no motor zone. Lots of Eel Grass, crabs, small fish and even keeper size reds and trout. It might be a place to check out, and would be a SAFE place to let the kids swim w/ no boats. Happy snorklin!

Skip
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
lastcast (8/28/2009)Not sure how familiar you are w/ Ft. McRae but, on the westend there's a little cove. It's marked a no motor zone. Lots of Eel Grass, crabs, small fish and even keeper size reds and trout. It might be a place to check out, and would be a SAFE place to let the kids swim w/ no boats. Happy snorklin!

Skip
i can vouch for this post. it is shallow and safe. i have snorkeled there in the past and saw more than i thought i would.

Dive Team Member
reefcreature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Quote:
lastcast (8/28/2009)Not sure how familiar you are w/ Ft. McRae but, on the westend there's a little cove. It's marked a no motor zone. Lots of Eel Grass, crabs, small fish and even keeper size reds and trout. It might be a place to check out, and would be a SAFE place to let the kids swim w/ no boats. Happy snorklin!

Skip
I was going to suggest that cove also but you would need a boat to get there.

I used to snorkel it a lot back in the mid-80s when it was full of scallops. It would be a great place to go if you can get to it. Other than that, just anywhere that you can find grass beds would be good.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Trigger

Gulf Islands National Seashore (a portion is located inbetween Gulf Breeze and Midway on HWY. 98) There are large area's of grass beds along there. There is also a "Welcome Center" with a nice parking lot that you can park in.
I used to snorkel along there when I was younger...and occasionally still do if I want to see small marine life.
You can expect to see anything from seahorse, baby/large flounder, redfish, trout, puffers....there is a lot to entertain little kids. It is also very shallow...a couple feet on a high tide!!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!!
Sailor612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.