Dream Weaver Bud Light Report - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Fishing Tournaments > Post-Tournament Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Dream Weaver Bud Light Report

Had a great weekend fishing the Pensacola Bud Light Fishing Rodeo. We fished HARD and hoped to be all over the leaderboard but only one of our anglers placed in any category. We left saturday morning, fished all day, stayed the night offshore in a 26 Horn and then fished Sunday morning and early afternoon. Our main focus was the king jackpot but we didn't place there. We did win the Mingo category though.

We met at the house at 0400 Saturday. By the time we loaded ice and gear and got on the water it was near 0500. We picked up the few live baits that were penned up from the day before and started our run to the SW. The first 30 miles or so were kind of choppy. There was maybe a 2 foot chop and we had to skate in between a couple of thunderstorms. For the last 20 miles it flattened out some. Our first stop was a live bottom area about 50 miles out. Fishing wasn't that good. We boated a snake king and a few mingos including the 3.63lb winner in an hour or two of fishing. We also got a pair of smallish scamp.

We bounced around that area for a bit before picking up and running to another live bottom area a few more miles SW. We caught a few more small king, some sharks, and a few reef donkeys. Our biggest king of the tournament came around 1400 Saturday. It hit a free lined dead bait and weighed a respectable 39.47lbs. We didn't get a picture on the boat but PNJ took a shot of us at the scales

After that fish and a few smaller ones, it was getting to be late afternoon and the wind had all but stopped so we decided to put mackerel fishing on hold and make a couple of grocery drops. The first drop at 400ft was 4 baits down and 4 snowies up. The one fish is pretty small but you can't pick and choose with this kind of fishing.

Second drop was more snowies and a 16lb snapper that we released dead as a doornail after its 400ft trip to the surface. I try not to kill them out of season but you just can't avoid snapper any more.

We got all but one of our grouper limit in short order leaving one open spot in case we got a big one somewhere else. The next step in the plan was to run to the west for the night to try and find some fish around the rigs in the morning. Arriving at sunset, we anchored on some live bottom near a cutoff rig (Black Beauty?) and got ready for bed. The other 2 guys slept on bean bags but I couldn't get comfortable on the bean bag so I laid on the front seat with my feet on the gunnel. We all got some sleep but even in good conditions sleeping on a center console is camping at best. My bed was the seat in the picture below.

The next morning, we were up at 0520 and ready for the awesome morning bite that never came. I don't know what happened Sunday morning but it was 2 hours before we ever lost a bait. Fish were marking good on the sonar but they had a severe case of lock jaw. We fished around and got a couple of small kings, small cudas, a chicken dolphin and a few other non weighable fish.

We made one or two stops on the way in to check some spots I haven't been to in years. A couple were gone but a couple were still there. We accidently caught a 25lb snapper on one of the spots. It was only 110ft but the fish was blown up pretty bad. We did manage to get it on the scale for a quick weight check so I know it was 25lbs give or take 1lb and we vented the fish quick enough that this one did swim back down. I know it made it down because it swam out of my hand and I tracked it on the bottom machine the whole way back to the bottom. Hopefully that fish lives...until next snapper season

We got to scales around 3pm on Sunday and we were able to go right in without waiting which was nice because we were tired. When we left scales, our king was 2nd, we had 1st and 2nd Mingo, and 2nd and 3rd grouper. A couple of boats came in the last couple of hours and bumped us off everything except the mingo though.

Overall the tournament was EXCEPTIONAL. Good weather, great staff, scales were organized, and Flounders is the best tournament venue in the area bar none. We can't wait to fish it again next year

Last edited by DreamWeaver21; 07-31-2012 at 07:20 PM.
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Sailfish

Wow! that is a weekend of fishing for sure, congrats on the mongo win.

The bite was slow for us as well last week fishing to the east.

Jimmy
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Sailfish

Great reoprt and good pics sucks you got bumped off the board but looks like you had a good trip anyway
fishn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Looks like you guys had a great time. Congrats on the win.
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.