Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Trolled up a mixed bag of goodies.

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jackback 
#1 ·
My BFF Terri (Jackback) and I fished a friend's 25 acre gravel pit off the Tallapoosa River yesterday. Dodging thunderstorms, we managed to fish less than two hours, but had a blast.

This gravel pit was reclaimed years ago, and the water is clear as St. Joe bay. Normally, extremely clear water is very infertile, but this lake is ringed by beds of peppergrass, which helps the foodchain. We were told by the landowner to keep everything we caught, and if we didn't want it, to just throw it up on the bank for the raccoons. He said the pond was overcrowded, and the bass were stunted. We were happy to oblige.

We fished from a 10 ft jonboat propelled by a trolling motor. Let me tell you, fishing from a 10 ft jonboat is like trying to have sex standing up in a hammock! Drink a few beers and just try to pee from one sometime.

Casting crappie jigs was not working for us, so we tossed jigs out the back and slow-trolled. We never went more than 50 yards without hooking chunky bluegills, skinny bass, or our target species- slab crappie. Ended the day with 7 crappie, 6 bluegills, and 5 skinny bass.

Terri was using a 1/16 oz blue ice grub, and I was using a 1/16 oz chartruese curly tail. The fish didn't seem to show a preference.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice catch when we had our old hunting camp and had the pond stocked the guy that did it for us told us to do the same thing. He said if you don't keep everything u catch throw it on the bank or else it will be over populated in no time. It seemed to work for us had bass 5+ pounds in a matter of a few years. Would love to know how big some of them are now

#3 ·
Great report and photo. Fishing a private pond can really be a blast. I have a friend with small 1 to 1.5 acres. I keep telling him he's got way too many bream and they need to be thinned out. If I was a flathead guy I could catch all the live bait I needed in this one little pond.

#5 ·
Better weather? You mean you didn't like loading the boat, fishing 10 minutes, unload everything that might get wet, waiting an hour or more for the rain and lightning to quit, go bail the boat out, load everything again, then fish for one hour before dark?

You must be new to fishing. :whistling:

Seriously, if we had fished for four hours, I would STILL be cleaning fish. :no:

#7 ·
Shouldn't be much longer - gotta work through the shellcrackers and bluegills first. Then we might go after some endangered fish in the Gulf.

#9 ·
Welcome back, Jackback. For some reason, I'm reminded of the beginning of of one of Dr. Sam's stories - "It was the third day of a seven day drunk...". :001_huh:

#14 ·
The perfect topping was tonight when Jackback had a fish fry at their farm with the fish we caught. Had friends from Maine and Alaska in the crowd. You know the girl can cook when she can draw people from that far! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.