Bush hooks for creek cats - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Fresh and Brackish Water > Fresh and Brackish - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Bush hooks for creek cats

Does anyone have any suggestions for setting bush hooks in a decent size creek? What kind of line do I use and what size hooks? I think I am going to use dead shrimp. Any better bait? How long do I need to leave them in the water? Any advice would be great. Hopfully I'll be eating some catfish this weekend.
Rocky Creek Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Bush hooks for creek cats

Shiners or Crawfish if you can find them.
Capt. Mickey Locke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

River roaches (wild shiners) are the best bait if you can catch them. It's more about where you put them than what you use for bait. As for line most people use nylon line. I personally use black nylon line. You'll need egg sinkers around an ounce for weight depending on where they will be hung. We always check them twice a night. Once around midnight and again early in the morning. Remember each one must be marked with your name and address now to be legal.

Nathan
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Nathan (2/8/2010)River roaches (wild shiners) are the best bait if you can catch them. It's more about where you put them than what you use for bait. As for line most people use nylon line. I personally use black nylon line. You'll need egg sinkers around an ounce for weight depending on where they will be hung. We always check them twice a night. Once around midnight and again early in the morning. Remember each one must be marked with your name and address now to be legal.

Nathan
Wow! Really? Is this just in Florida, or is it in Alabama too?
bamaman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Valued Member
White Marlin

Certain creeks and streams are great places for catching certain kinds of cats and even bullheads, bull correct me if iam wrong, i believe u have to have so much cotton line on your limb line, in case you forget about it, it will rote..But for shock mono i would suggest about 80-150lb test, (use a swivel to tie the two together, to keep the catfish from rolling up in the line). that's plenty strong, as a rule of thumb for a limb line u wont it as long as the with of both your arms, about 6 feet, with some kind circle hook, 8-12/0 will be plenty strong, ((dont just tie the circle hook on with a knot, you have to snail the circle hook)) i catch 30+lb amber jacks off shore with them,as for bait ur right about that, shrimp is the perfect bait for all cats down here in the south..Down here in our rivers and streams shrimp is there biggest food source, these shrimp here migrate miles up the rivers from the bays, so our catfish have learn to survive on them, just like shad in the northern rivers, and it stays on the hook really well, channel and blue cat love them even flatheads will take shrimp, live or dead, fresh dead if possible, but for the flatheads u cant beat and kinda sunfish, but here in the great state of Florida for reasons un known, we cant use blue gill or redear sunfish, i guess there's a shortage... but bullheads work awesome to, and their very hearty, and fun to catch on little bush hooks...Pensacola is full of catfish, u just gotta know where to look for them...oh just leave them out for one night set them in the evening and check them in the mourning if possible..
CatHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Where do I need to look to find shiners? Do I just put lines into the deeper parts of the creek? Are all cats good to eat? Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. Hopefully I willbe eatting some catfish this weekend.
Rocky Creek Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Valued Member
White Marlin

shiners are hard to find, but u can catch them in most creeks and streams on small hooks, use light line with #10-#12 hooks and bits and pieces of worms, gold hooks work great, and absolutely there all great eating...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I have had a lot of luck using mullet. Fillet them and cut it into chuncks, the skin is tough so it stays on the hook, the gizzard works also. Good luck.
river runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Valued Member
White Marlin

heres u a stream that might help, theres lots of bullheads in here with some channel cats...

</A>&gt;
Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Grouper

When you're running bush hooks at night you don't need alot of depth. I don't know what your regs are but if they are legal, live goldfish work well and you only need to be a couple feet deep. Catfish come to the top at night. This also keeps them from getting hung up as much and they head back to the bottom when they eat helping to get a solid hookup. As far as how long to leave them out, after I get my lines out I usually start running them, checking the bait and rebaiting as needed. Good luck.
jigslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.