Swords, Tuna, Mahi and scattered grass - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
OSOK
White Marlin

Default Swords, Tuna, Mahi and scattered grass

Left out of Pensacola on Frenchy's boat the Blueprint Sunday around 1230. Crew was Frenchy, Chris, Kevin, Manfred, and myself. Plan was to do some trolling and swording and above all stay the hell away from the sharks. Headed out towards the nipple and found lots and LOTS of scattered grass with some very large grass patches mixed in. We trolled and trolled the area with no knockdowns, just some schoolie mahi stealing the tails of our ballyhoo. We saw a billfish tailing near one grass patch but we couldn't get a bait to her. There were a couple larger mahi mixed in and we tried to catch some for dinner but they were being super picky so we gave it up after a little while and put out the spread and headed to the sword grounds. Pulled the spread in at dark with no hits and made our way to set up our drift. Got set on our first drift and about 30 minutes into it I noticed one of the rods looked a little heavy. We came tight on him and we were hooked up. Frenchy got in the harness and a little while later boated his first sword! It was a 40" fish so after some quick pics on deck she was released a healthy fish. Went and reset our drift and did not even have time to get but 3 lines out when Chris and I noticed something a little weird going on with one of the lines. After watching it for about 30 seconds, Chris said to come tight on it and when I did it was heavy. Got Kevin harnessed up and boy was he in for a battle. Every time Kevin gained some line or got the fish close to the boat, it would take twice that back. After close to an hour Kevin started to put a little more heat on the fish and after just over an hour fight we put a beautiful 150+ pound sword on the deck. Congrats all around and figure out what the heck do do with this monstrosity on the deck. Finally got the fish in one bag with ice and put another bag on top of it since there was no way to get it zipped. After spending the next hour icing the fish and getting some fuel transferred we moved back up and reset our drift. Start our drift and about an hour later get a couple clicks of drag on one of the reels. I came tight and it made a big run only to come unglued. Pulled it in and reset the bait and continued the wait. By this time everyone was sleeping and I was just sitting there waiting on the bite. It was starting to get light and I had pretty much written off the chance at another fish when we got a couple clicks of drag on one of the reels. We came tight on it and it was feeling very weird. We definitely had a fish on but we were tangled with two of the other lines. I get harnessed up and we were able to clear the lines and I got to feel my first sword on the other end of the line. About a twenty minute fight and we boated a 45" sword. Quick pics and a daytime release! You could actually see the fish light back up as Chris revived her, they are absolutely beautiful fish. Kevin got a great photo of the release, hopefully he can post it soon.

At that point we decided to move on in the direction of the dock and fish any good areas we found along the way. About 30 minutes into our move, with a large thunderstorm in front of us I saw something on the water that looked a little odd. I told them I thought I could see a capsized boat and no one believed me (except Chris). Convinced Frenchy to ride over and take look and it proved to be a great move. We found about a 26' cat capsized and holding a ton of life. Tried hailing the Coastie's to report the boat but no response so we started fishing. There were several nice mahi and a couple wahoo hanging around and we were using spinning and jigging setups to try and catch them. Chris hooked into a nice wahoo and then I managed to entangle my line with his and cost him the fish. I caught a couple nice cows and then Manfred caught a nice bull. It was about then that we noticed that there were tuna blowing up around us so I dropped a jig down and immediately hooked into a small yft. Drop down again and now I hooked into a serious tuna but after a few minutes the hook pulled. I repeated this about 5 more times before I was beat down and told someone else to give it a shot. Frenchy and Chris were finally able to break the cycle and boated a couple nice YFT's on spinning tackle and then I finally got my act together and put a keeper in the boat. During all of this we had a white come shooting under the boat chasing tuna and she was all lit up, cool sight. At this point we were all in the hurt box from lack of sleep and fighting fish so we headed towards the house with a full fish box. Final count was 3/4 on swords, 3 YFT's, and a few Mahi. Thanks to Chris for the great advice and putting us on the swords. It was a truly awesome experience! Thanks to Frenchy for having a great boat and to everyone else as well. We made it happen and had a lot of fun! Hopefully some of the other guys can post more pics, I only have two cell pic because I knew they were taking a bunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Swords, Tuna, Mahi and scattered grass-0702121450-jpg   Swords, Tuna, Mahi and scattered grass-0702121456-jpg  

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436

Last edited by sniperpeeps; 07-03-2012 at 01:49 PM.
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
White Marlin

Great report! Well done peeps!!!
marmidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

AWESOME report, I can't wait till the day I get a sword. Thanks for the post!
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Wow, good job guys!
Sounds like a awesome trip!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Awesome report!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Grouper

Wow
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Snapper

Wow, awesome trip!
Naby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
OCD Reel Service/Repair
White Marlin

Great trip indeed. I bet you guy's were tired for a few days..!!

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Nice job guys. What a trip!

Yall ever hear anything about the boat?
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Mingo

Awesome report as well guys!

Pleasure drifting next to you boys out there.

Working on a little quick edits on the video footage of the capsized cat... will try to post it soon.
team_A_II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.