Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Where and What is the 131 hole ?

8K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  george hirst 
#1 ·
I read about reports and hear chatter on the VHF while I'm out about the 131 hole. I have never tried to look it up but I think it is around the Nipple area. My question is, is this a place that most people troll in, or is the bottom fishing good there too ? I've not had much luck trolling this year. Is this a big area, and how big is it ?

#10 ·
jcasey That area has many names. I like one of them named after Steve Kaiser. We affectionately call it Kaiser Alley to this day. The man was part of a duet of two of the nicest guys that you would ever meet. Mr Kaiser has past on, but His and Wally representation for catching many blues, whites, big wahoo and big mahis in that area from just south of the edge and the 131 will live on.

#15 · (Edited)
Go find a copy of GOM chart number 11360... That was the standard chart carried by most trolling offshore ..And its features are the orgin of a lot of the names of trolling spots .. The 131 hole is the '131' fathom number SW of the nipple ... The 100 fathom curve shape shows the squiggles, nipple, elbow, the 500 fathom curve shows the spur and desoto canyon.. The 131 hole is a reported sounding .. The dumping grounds and the compass rose were labels on this chart were also reference areas based on 11360

#18 ·
131 hole

joe i caught my first blue and second there with steve and wally july 12 1992 i have pics in my office of steve swimming with the blue marlin he was agreat teacher and a greater man he called that one place wahoo alley i do miss mr october in the early days he was a cobia killin machine with jigs only you had better not get squid juice on the venture!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.