Weird Science?!? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
JMB
Mingo

Default Weird Science?!?

While trolling a rip/weed line this weekend we rolled up on what at first we thought was a lost Hydro-Glow floating vertically in the weed line.

After stopping to get my new Hydro-Glow...it morphed into a weird scientific probe. That' s when the aliens inserted....wait wrong story! LOL.

It turns out it was some sort of a scientific metorlogic type thing. It was 3-4 ft long glass tube about 3" in diameter. It had what looked like a giant thermometer in it. On top it looked like a solar power device and maybe a transmitter.

It had some sort of tag inside saying it was some governmental agency, just not NOAA, which I was expecting.

After got a brief look at it we put it back in the water about 25 feet downwind of the weed line. An hour or so later the current moved it back in to the weeds.

Anyone ever run across one of these before?
JMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

That is the red snapper counter right?
Sean Summers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Snapper

I found a buoy like that 5 years back or so and it had a reward sticker on it.

we kept it .................then

I returned the buoy after i called the company and they sent me 500$

some sort of research thing they drop from planes to study currents and temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
While trolling a rip/weed line this weekend we rolled up on what at first we thought was a lost Hydro-Glow floating vertically in the weed line.

After stopping to get my new Hydro-Glow...it morphed into a weird scientific probe. That' s when the aliens inserted....wait wrong story! LOL.

It turns out it was some sort of a scientific metorlogic type thing. It was 3-4 ft long glass tube about 3" in diameter. It had what looked like a giant thermometer in it. On top it looked like a solar power device and maybe a transmitter.

It had some sort of tag inside saying it was some governmental agency, just not NOAA, which I was expecting.

After got a brief look at it we put it back in the water about 25 feet downwind of the weed line. An hour or so later the current moved it back in to the weeds.

Anyone ever run across one of these before?
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Sailfish

I too came across a similar item a few years back, it had a reward sticker on it. Funny thing was the instructions said take it as it to post office and they would mail it. I walked into post office with this PVC pipe looking thing and sure enough they put postage on it and I got a $250 check in the mail. We keep on the lookout for them now!!

Robert
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I found some odd radar-deflector looking thing last weekend with small buoys on it but never found any kind of sign indicating a reward. Why don't I get to find the good stuff?!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
k-p
Trigger

Right before the oil spill we found a red and black float with an antenna and what looked like 'spokes' sticking out on it in a weedline. Was fairly large and had a bunch of rudderfish under it. Speaking of which, does anybody know anything about the new yellow buoy out past the edge? Looks like some kind of research buoy.
k-p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Mingo

Those thermometer deals out there are mine. I am trying to save a buck and monitor the sst without having to pay Mr. Hiltons' site fee. Please put'em back.
wide spread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-p View Post
Right before the oil spill we found a red and black float with an antenna and what looked like 'spokes' sticking out on it in a weedline. Was fairly large and had a bunch of rudderfish under it. Speaking of which, does anybody know anything about the new yellow buoy out past the edge? Looks like some kind of research buoy.
I don't know anything about it. Where is it? I haven't seen it. Last year I used to see a little buoy on my way home (to Destin) from the nipple but I haven't seen it at all this year. It wasn't yellow though. It was grey and brown. Every time I found it, I found it because of the birds sitting on it.

John
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
k-p
Trigger

If you're leaving Pensacola heading out to the edge then go southeast when you hit the edge like towards the nipple, it's about 2-3 miles past the edge in about 300' of water. If I had my gps I would give out the numbers but it should be pretty easy to find. Yellow bouy sticks up about 5 feet and is clean so must be new.
k-p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
JMB
Mingo

I want my money!

I don't think it had anything regarding a reward on it. I didn't personally inspect the item, other crew members did. I think they would have noticed it if it did.

Would have been awesome to get a reward for something like that!
JMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.