Wahoo question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Wahoo question

We are coming to Pensacola beach from Louisiana June 2nd through the 9th and I'm bringing the boat. I have a Pioneer 220 baysport with a F200 yami. I found a world of waypoints for reefs and such so I dont think daily limits of snapper will be a problem, however I have never caught a Wahoo or a sail and would love to take them off of my bucket list. I would also like to catch some Mahi if the grass is close enough. I'm comfortable with about 40 miles out or so. Any pointers would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Dyehard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Trigger

Run out to the Nipple and troll the edge, you should have a good shot at a Hoo, sail on the other hand will be a tall order, they are hard to find.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Trigger

very good advise... head to the nipple and then turn to the south and west and follow the bottum contour... if you find some chicken dolphin briddle a small one and free line him while catching more schoolies.... were are you coming in from ... i work offshore and have quit a few friends from lafayette ..
Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Coming in from Alexandria. I fish big lake mostly which is about an hour and a half west of Laffayette. My 8 year old daughter caught her biggest trout last weekend (6lb)

What about bait is there a bait boat in Pensacola?

I have been told to troll blue and white as well as purple and black. Are those good choices. Additionally we have a big crew coming but most days it will only be two fishing if a good local wants to guide and teach me. No worries about me hounding your spots because we will only make the trip every couple of years.

Thanks,
Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Trigger

i have a buddy that lives in welch... welsh... and hits big lake daily on his days off... black and purple and blue and white are both good ... the question lies in how you will fish >>> high speed for wahoo is 12-22 mph... and normal speed trolling what i like to pull is about 8-12 mph..... that is pretty fast for a small boat to troll.... this is pulling artificial baits... no ballyhoo... my PB wahoo was over 70 #s and was caught @ 22 mph...if you were coming to orange beach i'd be all over it !!! there should be some Pcola boys that should be able to help you out.... you rods and reels will determine how you fish... just remember when targeting Pelagics the description is " hour and hours of boodum interupted by seconds of chaos !!!"
Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for all the info I will be in orange beach in late August for 3 days but won't have the boat.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #7
Mingo

Dyehard, we trolled the nipple and around the 100 fathom curve on sunday and put two hoo's in the boat. Both hit on our top islanders a blue/white and pink/white. We were also pulling daisy chains on both of them as well. We were pulling around 7-9 knts targeting the hoos and dolphin. They weren't studs but the eat all the same!!
Attached Thumbnails
Wahoo question-wahoo2-jpg   Wahoo question-wahoo1-jpg  
rtspring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Thanks, I dont have to catch a stud, just want to catch a keeper.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Grouper

Anchor on the edge and chum like crazy. Put live baits down about 30ft. deep. We catch wahoo all the time like that at the edge.
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

At the depth change? What do I look for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.