trolling with daisy chains - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Trigger

Default trolling with daisy chains

how important are daisy chains for trolling ?? what about birds in front ??
younghooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: trolling with daisy chains

Depends on what fish you're targeting as to what type of daisy chains. For example, our tuna spread includes a shotgun bird daisy chain with a trailing lure. Occasionally we'll put a squid daisy chain out for White Marlin, or a Bonita bowling pin teaser for Blue Marlin. I have never used a dredge, but plan on giving it a try this season. Basically, the more you can make your spread look like a delicious bait-ball, the better your chances of piquing the interest of your target fish.Two things to think about: first, teasers are not sogood if targeting toothy fish, unless you like having one ripped to shreds, and second, sometimes a fish can become so fixated on a teaser that it will ignore your other baits, so a pitch bait rigged and ready is important. Lots of other guys run witch doctors and fender teasers as well. Do some experimentation to see what works for you. Maybe seeing something new and different from what everyone else is pulling will be the ticket to draw the strike.

Bob
bellafishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Grouper

I agree w/ Bellafishing and have these points to add. I love teasers and fish on boats that run as many as four, yet I do not on my boat. Why? On my boat I can handle a 6 line spread and that is it.Teasers are great, but don't overload your crew withtoo much in the water. 4-5 baits running wellis much better than 7 tangled lines.....
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Snapper

If you have a few folks in the cockpit they are good and I always use them. On the CC I had, i trolled squid chains actually off the downrigger ckips which worked great. Just need to make sure someone is watching with 5 to 6 lines plus two teasers.
dpewitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I love daisy chains, spreader bars and birds. Spreaders in particular are not nearly as hard to deal with as many make them out to be and I don't feel a spread is complete without at least one bird in the mix.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Trigger

since we do target wahoo & don't go any farther out than edge tothe nipple.... I'll put my predator hooked stinger on single strand wire...
younghooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Fish Alot Catch None
Grouper

I always troll daisy chainof birds with a skirted bait (off of the gunnel) and a bird with a skirted bait (on the outrigger). Even though I may not catch all of my fish on those baits, they do cause a bunch of racket which in turn turns the heads down below.

In short, I do not leave the beach with out birds on board.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Grouper

Billfish consistently come up on squid chains before any thing else. Be ready to reel up or drop back the closest lure in the spread and/or have a pitch bait close by to get them off teaser. You want to run light drag with the clicker on because alot of times a whitey (or any fish) will just swipe at it and you will just hear a quick click!
big blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.