Anybody fish Pensacola Pier today? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Anybody fish Pensacola Pier today?

Did anyone fish the pier today? I am leaving early from hattiesburg, MS tomorrow morning to come and try and fill the cooler up with some spanish mackeral. They were biting real good last weekend but I wasn't throwing the right rigging to hook up with many of them. With all that weather moving up from the south, I am hoping that the bites have increased even more! I'll post an update tomorrow evening once I get back home!
ricehobgood86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Trigger

Default slow

Some spanish here and there. There was one King run this morning at 5:00 and the tarpon have been showing up hungry. My son hooked one over 100lb this morning and got spooled!! He did manage to catch the only Bo-Bo of the morning:
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody fish Pensacola Pier today?-bailey-fish-002-jpg  
landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Default ...Bust....

Got into Pensacola beach about 5:45 and got set up about 2/3 of the way down the pier (usually have good hits from Spanish there). I got my fiancÚ and my dad rigged up and then got my rod rigged up and tossed a cigar out and wham!!! Had a hit real quick. Once I got the fish to the pier I realized I had foul hooked a Spanish. Being such a quick hit I figured it was going to be money for the rest of the morning......NOOOPPPEEEEEEE!!! We didn't catch another single fish. I caught a couple catfish but I don't count those anymore. What a bummer. I don't know what has caused the bites to fade but last week you couldn't get your line wet for having to real another fish in. Maybe the weather stirring in the gulfs but I honestly thought that it would be pushing the fish further in to the shoreline. If anyone can school me or tell me their opinion I'll gladly listen.

On the plus side....I was given three whole boxes of cigar minnows from others leaving the pier early because of the lack of bites. Saves me about 50 bucks out of my next couple trips!!
ricehobgood86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I was at the pier from 5:30-8:30 this morning caught a bunch of catfish and whiting. Saw a lot of hard tails and want I call butterfish caught on sabiki rigs. Also saw a few Spanish being caught
vtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

went to the Pensacola Beach Pier this morning but i believe at 5:00am i hooked into a 100lb+ tarpon and after i lost that the king bite was on for alittle and some other tarpon hook ups, my dad lost a king and many others were lost and caught but after that nothing really happened accept for a bonito i caught
KingFishin613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricehobgood86 View Post
Got into Pensacola beach about 5:45 and got set up about 2/3 of the way down the pier (usually have good hits from Spanish there). I got my fiancÚ and my dad rigged up and then got my rod rigged up and tossed a cigar out and wham!!! Had a hit real quick. Once I got the fish to the pier I realized I had foul hooked a Spanish. Being such a quick hit I figured it was going to be money for the rest of the morning......NOOOPPPEEEEEEE!!! We didn't catch another single fish. I caught a couple catfish but I don't count those anymore. What a bummer. I don't know what has caused the bites to fade but last week you couldn't get your line wet for having to real another fish in. Maybe the weather stirring in the gulfs but I honestly thought that it would be pushing the fish further in to the shoreline. If anyone can school me or tell me their opinion I'll gladly listen.

On the plus side....I was given three whole boxes of cigar minnows from others leaving the pier early because of the lack of bites. Saves me about 50 bucks out of my next couple trips!!
so you use dead cigar minnows? do you free line them or use a bobber?
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
Trigger

I freeline cigars. troll slowly or jerk slightly on retrieve works for me. if you hook them properly they will "swim" well.

I arrived this morning at 4. caught 2 spanish in the dark on bright gotcha. no spanish again until 7 or 8. met some guy named scott. he and i went back and forth catching alewive/hardtail to cut up and free line. he left with 6-7 nice spanish, i stayed for an hour more and left with 4.

hooked a 23 inch spanish early. record for me.

Seems like they were running a lot harder a week ago though. Not sure if the system has really pushed them up yet or if it will happen at all. Ill be there after the storm for sure though.

Last edited by leeroy87; 06-24-2012 at 02:29 AM.
leeroy87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Snapper

do you tip the gotcha's with anything?
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmi View Post
do you tip the gotcha's with anything?
no..... not needed....but a good retrieve is ....anymore I like a spear head jig that I started to make(looney jig) and sometimes will tip that with a piece of belly meat from a spanish

Bill
...........................................RETIRED ......
ironman172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
countryfishingboy
Ruby Red Lip

i went out last week hooked 9.10lb bonito on a yozo and caught 4 spanish on the yozo and my buddy has been teling me that the spanish have been killing his yozo so go out and get a yozo they wrk great
countryfishingboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hattiesburg, mackeral, mississippi, pier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.