Hard tails - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Cool Hard tails

I'm not a local, but I wanted to know does anyone catch hard tails and use them for bait? Live or other wise....for King Fish? I'd like to "live line" to catch my first King when I'm in PCola next week.... Also what are the best lure's for the PCoal pier..I know Gotcha's work for Spanish.... does anyone use Spoon's or Swim baits....for other species?

Lastly what is in now....I'd appreciate any help as I visit quite often BUT the local's are not too friendly.
alfinez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Grouper

Hardtails seem to do ok but your best friend is the cigar minnow.. if you can find one live thats awesome but they seem few and far to come by, all shops sell frozen ones.. I started kingfishing from the pier about a month ago and have been tearing them up on frozen cigs..

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BulletMan1
Hand crafted Bullet Jewelry
FUPAGUNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Grouper

Oh and the locals around here(im local and dont mind helping someone, eventhough im not that experienced yet) seem to be quite friendly, as long as your not a tool.. but then again ive only been to the pcola pier one time, and will never go back.. pure trash from what i experienced, i stick to the navarre pier now..

Old 07-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Yeah, I've figured that...I just thought since their are so many hard tails etc that the kings would kill them.... I've been to the Pier quite a few times but this go round I"m for sure going to land my first king... thanks for the help and I was actually going to go to Navarre I keep hearing good things about it...
Old 07-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Mingo

A big king will absolutely wreck a large hardtail, it's just the big kings are just harder to find. Also the hardtail tend to have a mind of their own and can tangle you up.
MrFish49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish49 View Post
A big king will absolutely wreck a large hardtail, it's just the big kings are just harder to find. Also the hardtail tend to have a mind of their own and can tangle you up.
Really.... Thanks for the info.... I was actually thinking about casting on the K's that swim up to the Pier. I don't know how many times I'd be fishing mid pier and look down and see a 36-48' King right under me....
Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUPAGUNT View Post
Hardtails seem to do ok but your best friend is the cigar minnow.. if you can find one live thats awesome but they seem few and far to come by, all shops sell frozen ones.. I started kingfishing from the pier about a month ago and have been tearing them up on frozen cigs..
do you jig the cigars? or just free line?

yeah sometimes the guys at the pcola pier are trash, just gotta stay away from them. i get more annoyed with the tourists talking to me while i am having a bad day asking the same questions over and over.
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Mingo

Cigs are the best all around king bait imo. Live or dead
bassassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmi View Post
do you jig the cigars? or just free line?

yeah sometimes the guys at the pcola pier are trash, just gotta stay away from them. i get more annoyed with the tourists talking to me while i am having a bad day asking the same questions over and over.
I free line the cigs and try to keep them about a foot below the surface. If the wind/current is too strong to sink them a lil i will add a couple small splitshots just above the leader to keep it down

Last edited by FUPAGUNT; 07-05-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I've been relegated to pointing and laughing at those guys, I mean I'm from NYC these guys don't know what a bad day is like. Yeah I plan on drifting some Cig's, I was just wondering if my little guy's having fun Sabiki'ing these guys might as well use them for bait...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.