Bob sikes help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Bob sikes help

Ive got a few questions about fishing from bob sikes so sorry about all of them.

How and where on the bridge is the best for big reds.

Ive been using live shrimp and ive been catching mainly trash fish with the occasional decent fish but what the best way to present the shrimp for spanish,reds, and trout ect...

Ive been getting some big bites and it snaps the 17 pound line almost immediately do you have any ideas what it is and the best way to keep it from snapping.should i put heavier leader or line.

What is the best area in your opinion on the bridge.

If im using live pinfish how should i hook it and rig it.

Sorry about all the questions and any other information would be appreciated.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
Trigger

sounds like you getting the shark bite. if your going at night use about 3 ft of decent steel leader. i saw some people hooking up pretty good on reds couple of weeks ago on tiny mullet. hook through the nose and freeline. they were about 1/3 of the way down the bridge fishing out into the water bayside. you will prob get some bull trout this way too i imagine. they were actually after the smaller blacktip sharks. but getting some out of slot reds.

Just curious, why big reds? i would just use a dead/live shrimp on a carolina and you can catch slots if your patient.
leeroy87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Trigger

Because of all the little bait shredders around Bob Sikes, I have NEVER liked using shrimp when fishing there. I always use live pinfish, very small finger mullet, bull minnows or L-Y's. You may get fewer bites but the ones you get will be keeper fish (for the most part.)
Hawkseye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Sailfish

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroy87 View Post
sounds like you getting the shark bite. if your going at night use about 3 ft of decent steel leader. i saw some people hooking up pretty good on reds couple of weeks ago on tiny mullet. hook through the nose and freeline. they were about 1/3 of the way down the bridge fishing out into the water bayside. you will prob get some bull trout this way too i imagine. they were actually after the smaller blacktip sharks. but getting some out of slot reds.

Just curious, why big reds? i would just use a dead/live shrimp on a carolina and you can catch slots if your patient.
Thanks for thethe advice..i had a feeling it was sharks but i was also thinking mackeral.
i mainly fish for fun and not to keep fish so i like a big fight.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.