Targeting AJ's - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Targeting AJ's

Any trips or tricks for targeting AJ's. how far out are they? 5,10,15,20 miles ? I have a 22 CC w/150 yammy and on a calm day I feel comfortable going 15-20 miles out.
This is my first time targeting AJs so what's the best way to catch them. Live bait? Jigs? Frozen cigs? Hi/low rig? Knocker rig ? Thanks in advance.
W69DY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Found this on the ole interweb. Let me know if there's anything else I should know. Particularly public or maybeeee some private numbers ))

The best time to target amberjacks in my region is during the winter and spring and all the way into early June, when the cooler water temperatures bring the fish in close to shore. That doesn’t mean amberjack fishing in July isn’t outstanding, you just have to go out a lot deeper to catch them.

You’ll find the fish out on the metal wrecks--the big ships like the USS Oriskany, the Dolphin Hole and the Ozark Target Ship. Some of the deeper ledges will also hold fish, but the bigger schools will definitely be on the deeper wrecks in the area in anywhere from 200 to 350 feet of water.

You’ll typically mark the amberjacks on your bottom recorder sitting above and to one end of the wreck. Depending on your bottom machine, they may mark as one big blob or individual oval marks, but they’re usually 30 to 100 feet above the wreck. Mark the wreck and the fish, figure out the drift, then put your bow into the current and hold the boat in place by bumping the engines in and out of gear.

The keys here is to deploy your baits to the fish that you are marking, and you do that by trial and error, moving the baits a lot and watching for them to show up on the bottom machine. If you get a bite, you can mark that spot on the line with a piece of string or rubber band, then you can drop to the correct depth to put the baits in front of the fish every time.

For tackle, I like 60 to 80 pound braided line on my reel. I like the braid because it has a thinner diameter, so you don’t get as much drag by the current, which makes it easier to get the bait right where you need it to be. A 4/0 to 6/0 conventional reel is perfect, particularly for the bigger fish. Some guys like to use spinning rods, especially when deep jigging with Williamson Speed Jigs.

Despite their aggressive nature, amberjacks can be very line shy, which is why most anglers targeting them use at least 15 feet of 60 to 100 pound monofilament leader, depending on the size class of the AJ’s you’re fishing, with the lighter leader for the smaller fish. Hook size should be determined by the bait size, but most often it’s a 7/0 to 9/0 4X strong VMC circle hook.

Live hard tails (blue runners) and threadfin herring are the best baits because they’re very active. Other good baits are big mullet, ladyfish or even small bar jack. You want to fish at least two or three baits at a time, because when you do hook up, the rest of the fish in the school get excited and competitive, so you’re likely to get bit on the other rods as well. As long as you can keep a bait in the water, you can keep them biting.

Amberjacks in my region can exceed 100 pounds, but the majority are in the 10 to 20 pound class. Out on the deeper rigs you can usually find some 30 to 40 pound fish, and fish over 50 pounds are not uncommon on some of the spots that don’t get a lot of fishing pressure.
AndyS likes this.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Step 1: Get some squid and chicken rigs

Step 2: Run out about 25 miles and catch a well full of porgies 1 or 2 lbs each

Step 3: Find an wreck, drop one down and hang on

That's about it. You have to have BIG baits to catch a legal AJ.
Game on and good luck.
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
Mingo

Like using jigs to get them fire up to the top then live line a hard tail. We go 10+ out. Be ready for the fight of your life.
Brads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

That's what I want ! A FIGHT! Smiling and can't wait to get out on the water. This crappy weather is killing me!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #6
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Where are you departing out of?
Generally, you will find them starting an around 100' depths, for our area (OBA) that is about 8+ miles out. Find some good structure, if it has some 'height' to it- better yet. But- they will typically be higher in the water column- so start by dropping your baits to the higher return on your sonar, that will more than likely be AJ. I found on a lot of our spots, the snapper held closer to the wrecks, and the AJ were higher over the wreck.
We use a lot of Ruby Lips and other larger baits on our deeper fish. I have even caught some of my larger ones on bonito. Don't be afraid your baits are too big- they can be veracious eaters! And will often swallow very large baits like whole bonito! On shallower wrecks I've fished I have used Shimano Flat Fall jigs- and if you chum some up near the surface, you can even throw lures at them- like a popper or one of the new Unfair Lures StickMinnow hard baits.
Check out our YouTube channel for more of our videos on AJ.
We have about the same size boat / motor as you. We run up to 28- 35 miles out on average- depending on the conditions. Just be careful and choose your days!

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- mike@badonskybuccaneers.com
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve

Last edited by badonskybuccaneers; 01-02-2017 at 12:42 AM.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 02:10 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Awesome info and video !!! I launch mostly out of Destin. It just closer for me but I have launched out of Pensacola a few times. I'm hoping to get out this weekend but I'm not sure that will happen. I guess we will see. Thanks again and keep it coming.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #8
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by W69DY View Post
Awesome info and video !!! I launch mostly out of Destin. It just closer for me but I have launched out of Pensacola a few times. I'm hoping to get out this weekend but I'm not sure that will happen. I guess we will see. Thanks again and keep it coming.
Yea- we are looking forward to going out too. But a little early to tell on the conditions.... but so far it looks like it could be about 2' seas for us? If that forecast holds, I plan on going.
Good luck!

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- mike@badonskybuccaneers.com
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Mingo

I'm ready as well, hoping for good conditions!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Grouper

Awesome video! Got me pumped
floorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.