Sight Fishing Sunglasses - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Sight Fishing Sunglasses

I have used Costas for the last 20 years for cobia fishing but recently tried a pair of Salt Lifes with Zeiss lenses. I was surprised to find they were clearer, lighter, and I could spot fish with them better than the Costas. So now I am looking to retire my Costas and buy a new pair of either Salt Lifes or Smith Chroma Pops. The only way for me to tell which are better is to buy both and get on the water with them. So, I am interested to hear opinions from those who have tried them. Any suggestions as to which lens color is best for either?
daylate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Jaded Old Phart
White Marlin

Have you looked thru Kaenon or Maui Jims yet?
Old 02-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
Trigger

I had a pair of Maui Jims years ago and wasn't impressed with them for cobia fishing. Maybe they have better quality now.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
White Marlin

I am not really a salt life brand fan myself but have put on a couple of my buddy's salt life glasses and they are very nice for sure have thought about buying a pair but I get a pretty good discount on Costas so I have stuck with them
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Jaded Old Phart
White Marlin

What color tint do you use for cobia sight fishing? Grey or amber? The Maui's I looked at were rose and the Kaenon's were slightly pinker than that.

Never looked at the grey ones tho.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylate View Post
I had a pair of Maui Jims years ago and wasn't impressed with them for cobia fishing. Maybe they have better quality now.
I bought a pair of Maui Jims about 18 years ago and took them back a week later. Hated them. I looked at quite a few the other day and they are nothing like the ones I bought before. I would give them another looksie.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Grouper

I have three pair of Costas. Read the reviews about Salt Life Zeiss lens sunglasses and decided to get a pair last spring just before cobia season.

I was very pleased and found that there was a big difference in what I could see with them. They helped tremendously as I do not see fish nearly as good as most. It will be Salt Life glasses from now on, even though I am not a big fan of the brand name. I bought them only because of the Zeiss lens's.
bowdiddly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
What color tint do you use for cobia sight fishing? Grey or amber? The Maui's I looked at were rose and the Kaenon's were slightly pinker than that.

Never looked at the grey ones tho.
I have always used the Costa green mirror. I would pick amber over grey for cobia fishing. Amber seems to make things in the water "pop".
Old 02-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdiddly View Post
I have three pair of Costas. Read the reviews about Salt Life Zeiss lens sunglasses and decided to get a pair last spring just before cobia season.

I was very pleased and found that there was a big difference in what I could see with them. They helped tremendously as I do not see fish nearly as good as most. It will be Salt Life glasses from now on, even though I am not a big fan of the brand name. I bought them only because of the Zeiss lens's.
Same here. Anything with ZEISS lenses has always been excellent for me. I hear great things about the ChromaPops too but don't want to plop down $200.00 for a pair just to compare to the Salt Lifes. That's why I was hoping to hear from some PFFers that have used them both.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdiddly View Post

Which lens color did you buy?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.