Rigging for Beeliners and Triggerfish - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Rigging for Beeliners and Triggerfish

I posted these together because I believe one rig will work for both fish even though I haven't caught any triggers.

I currently rig for beeliners using dropper rigs made of 30-40 lb mono or fluorocarbon where there are multiple 2/0-3/0 hooks on loops and a weight at the bottom. One problem is that I have trouble getting the loop through the eye of the hook so I often have to cut one end of the loop and tie the hooks on normally. This doesn't pose much of a problem until mister 20" red snapper decides the morsel of squid on the hook is his dinner causing my rig to get torn up because the loops I cut to tie the hooks on are too weak for larger fish.

How do you guys make your small hook dropper rigs so that they don't get torn up from larger fish? I know that they're not going to be grouper proof, but there has to be a way to make them a little stronger.

Thanks
Naby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Still haven't caught a
Sailfish

Buy hooks with bigger eyes... I've made two hook dropper rigs with 80 lb before because it was all I could find on the boat. Had to bite it to pinch it to push it through the hook eye, but it went. And I still got plenty of bites. Never had a mingo get line shy.

There are plenty of hooks around that are still small shanked circles that have bigger eye holes. Look around, you may just have to change brand. You must be using some pin hooks if you can't get 30-40 lb through.
FenderBender is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Still haven't caught a
Sailfish

Let's face it, you aren't catching mingos and triggers for the sport and fight of it, they are a meat fish. I would not use less than 50 lb. on your dropper rigs for longer durability. This is the same reason deep drop rigs are made with 300 lb. mono... you may be mostly catching 10 to 20 lb fish, but you want the rig to be durable and last a long time. Just my .02
FenderBender is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
White Marlin

Naby we use the same rig and hooks. The Eagle Claw Laser Sharps are good enough for that rig and has caught lots bigger fish then Mingo's. The eyes are big enough to get 60# through. Wallly World sells em.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Snapper

Thanks all for the info.

So is everybody shoving the loop through the eye or cutting the loop and tying the hook on.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
White Marlin

Double. I make a real quick easy 3 loop rig. 2 for hooks and 1 for sinker.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
alm
Mingo

I use 80 to 200 test mono for my droper rigs i like the mustad ulta point hooks. 2/0 to 4/0. Imo i have found some spots have more triggers and some spots have more mingos. I think you dont have good private #s and thats why your not catching those fish. IMO it takes a long time and a very good fish finder to get some good honey holes #s.You will catch fish at public #s But not like finding a new spot thats never been fished. Good luck to you.
alm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Snapper

Thanks, I'll get some different hooks. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head but the kind I use are made out of small wire (for the smaller hooks anyway) and so the eye is small.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm View Post
I use 80 to 200 test mono for my droper rigs i like the mustad ulta point hooks. 2/0 to 4/0. Imo i have found some spots have more triggers and some spots have more mingos. I think you dont have good private #s and thats why your not catching those fish. IMO it takes a long time and a very good fish finder to get some good honey holes #s.You will catch fish at public #s But not like finding a new spot thats never been fished. Good luck to you.
Yeah, no private numbers yet. I've only been fishing out of Destin for a little over a year so I'm still learning the spots.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to feelin' wright

Like everyone else said use hooks with bigger eyes. I always just push the loop through. I have never tied the hook to the loop. Just seems like more work.
feelin' wright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.