Moving boat to Destin...Need a crew! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Moving boat to Destin...Need a crew!

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Great site you have here. Just wanted to start reaching out to some of the locals in the area. We just bought a place in Destin and plan on spending a good amount of time down there. I live in Lafayette, La right now, but so many people have boats here I have decided to move my 36 yellowfin to Legendary Marina. I am looking to start making some contacts with you local guys that know the area well. I know very few people in the area, so unless I have a crew in from La, I will be looking for a crew most of the trips. I think I have a pretty good grip on what I am going to do for tuna trips...run to the floaters from Ram over towards south of the river. What I would like to do is learn the bottom fishing, swordfishing (especially), deep dropping, and good areas to troll for bills, mahi, etc. We have it easy over here in Louisiana with the rigs...so I am going to need some help learning to fish these humps, ledges, wrecks, etc. I have all the gear we need and the boat holds 525 gallons of fuel so we have plenty range. I do both day and overnight trips. Are there ride along captains in the area that are for hire? Also love to spearfish if anyone is in interested in doing that. Anyhow, shoot me a pm or post here and we can put something together! Thanks guys!
Yellowfin36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin36 View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Great site you have here. Just wanted to start reaching out to some of the locals in the area. We just bought a place in Destin and plan on spending a good amount of time down there. I live in Lafayette, La right now, but so many people have boats here I have decided to move my 36 yellowfin to Legendary Marina. I am looking to start making some contacts with you local guys that know the area well. I know very few people in the area, so unless I have a crew in from La, I will be looking for a crew most of the trips. I think I have a pretty good grip on what I am going to do for tuna trips...run to the floaters from Ram over towards south of the river. What I would like to do is learn the bottom fishing, swordfishing (especially), deep dropping, and good areas to troll for bills, mahi, etc. We have it easy over here in Louisiana with the rigs...so I am going to need some help learning to fish these humps, ledges, wrecks, etc. I have all the gear we need and the boat holds 525 gallons of fuel so we have plenty range. I do both day and overnight trips. Are there ride along captains in the area that are for hire? Also love to spearfish if anyone is in interested in doing that. Anyhow, shoot me a pm or post here and we can put something together! Thanks guys!
I have a good friend who is a "ride along captain" meaning he has the spots if you have the boat. His name is Mike Sparks and he is an excellent fishing guide and an all around great guy. He is actually the guy that taught me how salt water fish, so needless to say I have allot of respect for the guy. If you would like send me a PM and I will pass along his number to you. Also when you get over here I would love to go fish with you sometime.. just give me a shout..

Travis.
local_hooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Trigger

PM sent
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thank you all for reaching out guys! I recieved 15 pms and can't tell you how happy I am to have a contact list. We will be moving the boat down in 3 weeks...I will certainly be in touch with you guys to put something together!
Yellowfin36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Trigger

Let me know if you are going...I'm in...Live in Ft. Walton.

18 Neptune CC.
115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
21 Searay Custom
Merc 260
devndeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Trigger

I live in Niceville, and would be interested in meeting you. I recently lost a close friend that I fished offshore with. The idea of blue water fishing hasn't been the same since. I still go out, just not as often. We used to go every other weekend on overnighters. We did well on swords, bills, and every other palegic out there. I prefer the spur/canyon area over the rigs personally. I also like the nipple/131 area and the squiggles in the fall. LA is awesome for rig hoping for tuna and wahoo, but it can be distracting, and keep you from exploring new areas and techniques. If you're ever short handed pm me. I don't care much for cranking in fish, but I love watching new people catch a first, and I get more joy from wiring and gaffing, and rigging baits and lures.
BlueH20Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Default swordfish captain

Also wanted to pass along that there is a great Swordfish captain that is also in boat sales over at Legendary. I know him by Eric, he sold us our boat last year and he's a really great guy. He's over at the docks around Legendary all the time and will be a great resource for sword fishing. I think he is even in charge of the local sword fishing club.
gibbsrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Which Legendary marina are you using? Brooks bridge or Mid bay. I keep mine at the Brooks bridge.
presnells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.